metro mama

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New Sheriff

Would you believe I go back to work in just a week? Sherwood is 8 months on Monday, and my first day is April 1. McHotty is all set for me to pass the torch. I overheard him telling Cakes today, “there’s a new sheriff in town.” Ha.

It’s funny, he’s remarkably relaxed about these changes. He usually is pretty zen though. I’m getting anxious. I am definitely ready to go back to work, but I’m feeling a little guilt. It’s not like I’m going back to a job where I save lives or anything. It does feel a little self-indulgent to go back early when I don’t have to. But I will be a happier person, I’ll be home early every day, and I think it will be a great experience for McH. I have no reservations about his ability to take over, and do it well.

I am concerned about a few logistical issues, mostly concerning breastfeeding. I’m going to have to pump at work, and I’ll need to borrow someone’s office (there are two possibilities but both occupants usually eat at their desks). It’s going to be a pain in the ass. Also, Sherwood’s currently sleeping late, so I’ll need to wake him to nurse before I go out. But I’m sure it will all sort itself out. He’s eating solids now, so we can soon cut out breast milk during the workday. Does anyone know how long it will take until I can nurse before and after work without getting painfully engorged in between?

I will confess, I am really looking forward to a few simple pleasures: dressing up a little, walking to work, lunch at St. Lawrence market, quiet morning coffee. These little things will allow me to enjoy the time I spend at home a lot more. And get this—I’ve promised my family I will spend much less time on the home computer starting next week. I’ve been pretty bad at setting boundaries during my mat leave, and I plan to do better once I’m on the computer all day at work. Of course, I will take a few minutes for occasional updates here. But please, slap me if you catch me tweeting from the bathroom in two weeks, ‘kay?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Highwaisted said...

my boss pumped at work for a good 3 months. She was pretty engorged that whole time. I'm not sure at what point she was ok to just pump in the morning and at night. I miss the sound of the pump though, it was so soothing. :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

The few simple pleasures sound lovely ...morning walks in peace, quiet tea, lunch... sigh

I hope that the transition back to work goes smoothly.

2:54 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

that sherrif is going to have his hands full. it will be great
let me know when I can meet you for lunch!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous mrsgryphon said...

Those "simple pleasures" of going back to work sound divine. Enjoy :)

FWIW, when our Bug was about 8 months old, I went down to one feeding during the day (plus morning and bedtime) and then a couple of weeks later dropped that mid-day feeding with only a day or two of engorgement that wasn't too bad. Last week, I weaned her from the morning feeding and neither one of us noticed :)

2:19 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I think it's great that he's doing it - and even better that his work is cool with it. T would have stayed home in a heartbeat, but it is frowned upon in his industry.

So jealous of your quiet morning coffee. I remember those days fondly.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.