metro mama

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Milky-Smelling Fog

It’s all so surreal, but I’m starting maternity leave in two weeks! I’m really having a hard time letting go this time. I feel left out. Right now we’re having the initial planning meetings for the Spring 2010 lists and I don’t have to go. I’m not invited to a meeting tomorrow with two authors I really wanted to meet, because I won’t be here when their book is published. I’m feeling rather forlorn.

As I prepare to let go of work for nine months (McHotty is still planning to take the last three) I’m trying to find something to fill the gap. Yes, I know a newborn is a lot of work, but they do sleep a lot. I’m terrified of falling into (to quote Alice Munro) “a milky-smelling fog”. You know what I mean?

One of the things I plan to do is step up blogging again (for real this time!) I want to write a lot more, but I also want to engage with the community again (I’ve been so negligent lately). So if you’ve been reading, and I haven’t been by in a while, please let me know. I’m also looking for new blogs to read. Please comment with suggestions: I’d like to read some new parent blogs, as well as blogs on books, publishing, and social media.

I’m also spending more time on Twitter, and tend to chat more about books and publishing there. You can follow me here. I got myself an iPod touch for Mother’s Day, so I can tweet away during the long hours of breastfeeding. Did I tell you how much I love my iPod Touch? I don’t have the words.

P.S. It just dawned on me that I missed my 3-year blogiversary in May! Time to freshen things up here, I think.

10 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Yippee, I'm so glad you will be blogging more. I've missed your regular posting. I haven't gotten into the Twitter world, perhaps it's time...

One more thought, you have really found a career that you seem to love...I think you are so fortunate for that.

Enjoy your last two weeks at work, and the best of luck for the start of your maternity leave!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think that blogging helped my brain while on mat leave - even if what I was writing was drivel...

Enjoy!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear metro mama. There is a blogger I like to read, she has several different blogs, including a reading blog. kimbofo.typepad.com

You know, I felt the same way about work as you do when I left to go overseas with my husband. But really, once you're out the door and you've let go of these things you're involved in every day of the week, it's easy to get very excited about your new adventure.

8:46 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

First off get yourself invited to that meeting.
second I think I better get following you on twitter

9:23 PM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

Sounds like our newest wee ones will be roughly the same age... I look forward to more posting.


Happy 3 year blog'oversary.
:-)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

2 weeks! That's nuts!
Enjoy your maternity leave.

6:44 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Shall we make a deal? We can spur each other on with the blogging thing? I need someone to regularly kick my ass. :)

I so envy your iPod touch. If it would come in 64GB, I'd already be several hundred $$ lighter. Until then... I'll just drool. However, I do tweet from my phone, so I'm around twitter a LOT.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Kristi said...

I think the twitters and the facebooks have made many of us (ME) lazy bloggers. When I became a stay-at-home mama, it was actually the blogging that kept me sane. And also out of therapy.

So I look forward to reading you during the fog, reveling in the fog, out of the fog, and missing the fog.

And holy crap, I haven't commented on a blog in FOREVER.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Hey man, you can hang out with us anytime. Although I can't promise to dispel the fog.

Read The Little Criminal blog. It's too funny.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Hi Julie! I'm planning to get an iPod touch soon, too, so you'll have to let me know how you like it.

My mat leave won't begin until early November. Maybe we can have a playdate sometime!

Hope you're feeling well, see you on Twitter.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.