metro mama

Friday, September 12, 2008

Don't Hate Me Because My House is Empty

As much as I love my family, I can’t tell you how much I adore some time away from them. This week I had lots of it—Cakes is staying with her grandparents for the whole week, and McHotty is out doing whatever one does on a tugboat for 4 days (I really have no fucking idea). He went to Brockville and back. I talked to him the other night and it sounded like he was having a blast; I called Cakes, and she barely had time to say hi, she’s having so much fun. When pressed, she did admit she missed me a little.

I am having no problem passing the hours (as evidenced by yet another week of un-updated blog). I spent a couple of nights lolling around the house in my trackpants, eating stinky cheese, drinking wine, reading Kate Atkinson and Kelley Armstrong, and getting to know my new PVR (how did I survive this long without a PVR!) I’m loving the new 90210. Hooray, Kelly’s back! I downloaded and watched the first episode of Alan Ball’s new show, True Blood. It’s going to be so fucking awesome! Sexy and dark, just what I like.

Last night I went out to the Green Room with a few mates from my MA program. Now that it’s September I’m feeling a little nostalgic, and I’m missing them. I really wanted to shut the place down, but I was wise for once and left at midnight so I’d be fresh and bright for work today. I was also smart and stuck to just a few Coronas instead of copious amounts of cheap draft like we usually order. I appreciate that wisdom today.

Today is a nice relaxing day at work. Miriam Toews was at the office. I’m catching up on the fun stuff, like iRead, and GoodReads and Twitter (I’m now under my real name in Twitter—look me up!). I went to St. Lawrence Market at lunch and picked up some goodies for McHotty’s homecoming tonight. Cakes comes home tomorrow, and I’m glad. While a week alone is fab, I do miss her fiercely. It really hits me when I look in her room, empty and uncharacteristically tidy. But I can tell you right now, by the end of the rainy weekend they’re forecasting, I’ll be ready to ship her off again!

What are y’all up to this weekend?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

We saw True Blood last night. I'm a big fan of Alan Ball. Trying to figure out if it's going to be like Twilight.

So 90210 is worth watching?

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be glad you didn't close down the place. Hard liquor after a few beers meant that not only did I wake up feeling craptacular, I'm sure I embarrassed myself as well. Ah well.

Thanks for getting everyone together!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Forgot to PVR True Blood so am hoping it's on demand. It's a copious amount of tv riches right now with all the new seasons starting. Loving Mad Men most of all.

4:07 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

We've got kids birthday parties all weekend long
so I am very jealous of your week off.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Ooh! Reading time! With WINE.

8:18 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I'm dropping my kids off at your place and driving away fast. and disconnecting my phone.

watcha gonna do about it huh? HUH?

8:44 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

This weekend? Same as you - I'm planning to be driven crazy by a bored toddler who can't go outside to play.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I must admit, I saw the new 90210.

I felt like I was in H.S. again...

2:20 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

that sounds heavenly...
I tried to watch the new 90210, but I have to admit I just didn't dig it, same goes for Gossip Girls and The O.C.
But I am really into Top Chef and Prison Break at the moment oh and Flipping Out on Hgtv.
those are my guilty tv pleasures.
I can't imagine life without PVR.
and check out all the great movies on the movie network- stuff you would probably never ending up renting at the video store, but are entertaining.
This weekend we watched The Holiday & Goya's Ghosts, both really good movies that I never would have rented.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't hate you.. will just be insanely jealous! :)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Leanne said...

You just made me write 90210 on a huge piece of paper and leave it on my desk. Do you think I can REMEMBER to watch the damn thing? Tomorrow. I. will.

What can I do to make my family go away?

9:37 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

loving 90210.

12:29 AM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

I know what you mean--I get some time alone and I miss them fiercely, but ooo how I'd like some more time alone!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Barrie said...

I'm so jealous. I want to meet Miriam Toews!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.