metro mama

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Metro Reco: The Outcast

Last night I attended a reception for Sadie Jones, author of The Outcast, her first novel.

This is my favourite recent read, and it’s a stunning debut for Jones.

Set in a small town in 1950’s England, the novel’s protagonist, nineteen year old Lewis, returns home after his release from jail. His return triggers a series of fateful events for the members of his family, as well as those of Kit Carmichael, long admirer of Lewis, and long-suffering daughter of a tyrannical father who also happens to be a highly-respected pillar of the community.

Jones’ characterization is strong; the novel perfectly paced. The story is tragic and devastating, yet ultimately hopeful.

The novel has such a cinematic quality; I can’t wait to see it adapted for film. There’s a fantastic trailer created for the book--see it here.

I had a chance to chat with Sadie briefly last night, as she signed my book (she is lovely by the way). I mentioned a future film version of the book, and we pondered the question, who could play Lewis? No one immediately comes to mind; a fellow blogger who attended the event with me, says it would have to be a newcomer. I’ve slept on it, and still can’t come up with anyone suitable; it will have to be someone young, and there should be a different actor for the young Lewis. For those of you who have already read the book, who do you think should play Lewis?


Sorry the picture is so blurry--I was playing with my camera settings to avoid an obnoxious flash! I'm so inept with my camera.

I have an extra signed copy of the book for the first person (with a Canadian address) to email metro[underscore]mama[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Update: Sorry, I already have a winner for this book! But we do have a couple more green books up for grabs, over at MBT.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

sounds like another good book to add to my list...

just re-watched the Notebook last night. Would Rachel McAdams fit the bill?

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm reading this one, (thanks to you) and enjoying it a lot! I'll have to come back and check the trailer when I've finished it.

3:53 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

sounds like a great read and a great event.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Sounds like my type of book. Too bad I'm too old to be cast in the movie...

5:58 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Damn I'm so late to this and SO JEALOUS you got to meet her.

7:53 PM  
Blogger scarbie doll said...

MF is looking good in the pic! But he's not my work BF, if that's what you were thinking...

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.