metro mama

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Like Riding a Bike

There’s a reason for the expression, “it’s like riding a bike.”

This is kind of embarrassing, but today I climbed on a bike for the first time in fifteen years!

I’m not an athletic woman. I like to walk everywhere, but beyond that, the only thing I usually exercise (except for the occasional kegels) is my elbow.

McHotty has been on my case to start exercising for a long time. He, of course, goes to the gym almost everyday, bikes miles to work, and is super-fit. I feel like a slob beside him. Luckily, the super-flu I just recovered from knocked nine pounds off my frame in a week, making up for a winter of many fine cheeses. But I’m still not too happy about how I look with clothes off.

So today, with the beautiful weather and unexpected TTC strike, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. We have a fantastic bike path at the end of our street; the beach is five minutes away; we have a brand new bike trailer from MEC. There were no more excuses.

I was a little unsteady at first: I weaved back and forth like a drunken clown. But it really didn’t take long to get the hang of it again.

At first I gripped the handlebars with white knuckles. My muffin-top popped out of my low-rise jeans, and I realized my ass-crack was showing, but I was too afraid to let go to make adjustments.

After ten minutes or so, I felt more comfortable—even daring to let go with one hand to yank down my t-shirt—and we made it to the beach in one piece.

On the way home, I pedalled fast, and with the wind and the sun on my face, I felt like I was 12 years old again.

But how much do you want to bet I will feel like I’m 112 tomorrow?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

That's so funny. Last weekend was my first bike ride in almost two decades. Colin got me a new bike for my birthday. It's awesome!

6:48 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

There's a reason why I undress with the lights off right now...

TMI?

7:57 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Ohhhhh I hear ya on the winter of many fine cheeses...and late night eating, etc. But I think I look better nude than in clothes....weird eh? It's the 'woob' that hangs out all over when I'm wearing clothes that bothers me. Good for you for getting on your bike...I'm not brave enough, it's been 14 years for me and the last time I rode a bike I puked!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ttc strike? what? really? agh!!!!

ps- the imagery is hilarious in this post.

krista (the silent k)

10:25 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

you have not worked out in HOW long?

dude. c'mon.

11:18 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Good on ya. How does Cakes like the trailer? We want to get one as well.

And yes, it will hurt. But it will get better.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like that first initial wobble when you get on your bike for the first time in the spring.

But friend, why are you looking at yourself nekkid? That's like, masochistic.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I've been wanting to try a bike for a while now, but I'm too chicken. You've given me hope!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Way to go Jill. Little Boy in our house loves to go for bike rides. Tough thing is that now he wants to ride Daddy's bike.

8:48 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I love riding a bike, and bought myself one last year after several years of not riding. If onyl Misterpie had one, the Leslie Spit would make a great family outing, though I guess we'd have to drive down there, because obviously, Pumpkinpie is too small for the trip there! Good on you, though. It sucks getting started, but the wind in your hair is totally worth it.

2:08 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

I love bike riding.
we usually go out every weekend when the weather is good.
pre lulu I cycled everywhere. I miss that actually.
bid daddy has the bike seat for lulu though, I'm too chicken to balance her on my own- plus I'm a little crazy on my bike and like to go really fast.

good for you...

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.