metro mama

Monday, January 07, 2008

Finding My Groove

I’m home after twelve hours on campus, bug-eyed but exhilarated.

The holidays were lovely, but seriously? I was pretty fucking happy to get back in the swing of things. I love my family, but three weeks of non-stop togetherness is a bit much. And I don’t know why I was in such a hurry for Cakes to talk--most of the time she’s saying “no”, or “I want to watch Dora”. So, this morning I was awake before my alarm went off, at 6:00. I had breakfast, caught up on blogs and actually put on makeup before she even started stirring, and I was out the door by 7. I can’t get over what a change this is from my last few months in my old job in IT. I was so miserable with what I was doing, I would hit the snooze button four times every morning.

Now that I’m no longer intimidated, grad school is really fun. My course load is slightly lighter this term and all my classes are in one day (it’s a very long day, but it saves me shlepping to Jane and Finch). I just started a new class I’m really excited about called “Black Song”, about African-American poetry. We’re going to read lots of poems, and listen to music. And the prof is really excited about her subject (actually, all of my profs are—it’s so refreshing).

A couple of weeks ago, my program director asked me if I was going to apply for the PhD, and I did start to give it some more thought. I was tempted. It’s a pretty cosy place. I totally understand now why people stay in grad school for so long, even when they don’t have definite plans. But I just can’t justify it—I know I don’t want to be a professor. I wish there were something between MA and PhD. I’d love to do a second MA actually, in film studies or something, but I don’t think McHotty’s too thrilled about that idea.

Anyway, my thoughts about my future scholarship were confirmed today when I received my first piece of negative feedback:

This essay is impressive in its literary perception and fluent writing, but not sufficiently rigorous in its critical analysis and scholarship.

The truth hurts.

Actually, it didn’t really hurt. I know this. I know I’m much more interested in what I have to say than what others do.

I’ve decided my next move will be a publishing certificate program (probably Ryerson). A lot of it can be done online and there is an internship at the end. I’ve been thinking about this for a long time now, and I think it will be a good fit. So, if you have any advice for me, I welcome it!

Anyone else really happy to go back to work today?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

It is brilliant that you are excited with your work load! It does sound really awesome.

As for me, I never got the extra time with the family as we were open through the holidays. Ugh.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

I was really tense and nervous yesterday, and I can't figure out why. Happy to be back at work, except for the sudden inexplicable sheer terror.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I'm so happy for you! I remember that feeling - I did a 7 week Restoration Theatre workshop and full-scale production. It was the equivalent to "having a real job as an actor". I was so happy to get and go to "work". It was the best feeling in the world. I haven't had that feeling since.

I'd like to hear more about the publishing certificate...

7:21 AM  
Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

I've spoken for that publishing program class before at an info night about what it's like to work in publishing.

With an MA I would say you'd be more than qualified to work in an editorial position at most publishing companies. If I'm not mistaken, it's offered part-time, too. Some of my colleagues have done it on evenings.

Sounds like you're in for a great term!

Assertagirl

8:13 AM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

I couldn't wait to get back to work yesterday. Three weeks is a hell of a lot of togetherness!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

I'm only a undergrad freshmen and in my "10 year plan" I plan on getting my phd (music education). I'm sure this might change by then haha.

Btw, I'm a new reader (found your blog through I Am Bossy). I love the way you write so I'm going to add you to my daily blog list :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

That's so great - having enthusiasm and a plan makes all the difference in the world. And the Black Song course sounds amazing! Let us know what you are reading/listening to, okay?

3:22 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I was happy to go to the mall with both my kids and no one to help! Doing something you enjoy makes all the difference, dunnit?

I love hearing about your scholarly adventures, and I cracked up reading, "I’m much more interested in what I have to say than what others do."

4:37 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I was pretty happy to have my regular routine back...I felt like I was in a giant clusterfuck over the holidays.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Mississauga Kids said...

I have a poll on my blog about whether or not "Your Glad the Kids are back in school."

This post is an interesting twist!

I think after 2 weeks of too much of everything we are all happy to be back where we belong!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Glad to be back to work as well!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was glad to be back to the regular grind, but having just got off the phone with the principal at my son's school, I'm sort of wishing to be back on vacation.

Good luck with the publishing decision! I think that's brilliant!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Wow, publishing certificate?

I can't imagine going back to school, although I do like learning new stuff.

My wife just started up grad school again last week. Just watching her do homework makes me tired.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.