metro mama

Monday, September 03, 2007

Weekend Recap and (Finally!) My Take on Potter
















Photo courtesy of my sister-in-law, M.

I’m back in the t-dot after our adult weekend up North. Cakes didn’t miss us one bit; she was too busy going to the farm and the beach and everywhere her heart desired with her grandparents. McHotty and I were a couple of teenagers, sleeping in, drinking beer at noon, reading on the dock, watching movies. I actually managed to see three movies; here are my one-sentence reviews:

Ocean’s 13: how could something with so much eye candy suck so bad?

Knocked Up: very funny and charming, though highly unbelievable that she would a) have sex with that guy in the first place (she wasn’t that drunk!), and b) give him another chance without the beer goggles. Loved the supporting cast.

Shooter: I watched this for hubby’s sake, once reassured it starred Mark Walhberg wearing no shirt. It was better than I expected (damn, the man has some hot abs).

We had some fine food this weekend. Holy fuck the Ontario produce is good right now, the tomatoes particularly. Add a little fresh basil, olive oil and some feta, bocconcini, or goat cheese and blow your fucking mind. Before we left the city we filled up the cooler with some goodies from our new neighbourhood T&T Supermarket, aka the Asian Loblaws(we’ve been there three times in the week since it opened—post on MBT coming soon). We watched the sunset on the dock with fine cheese and a bottle of wine each night. Now that is the way to live.

Harry Potter spoiler alert!!!


I FINALLY read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I’m very happy with how Rowling tied it all up. I won’t go in to a lot of analysis here as I’m so late to the party, but I love how she continued the theme of ambiguity in this last book. The “good” characters, particularly Dumbledore, acknowledge their weaknesses. The “bad” characters, like Draco’s mother, reveal their humanity. The most interesting character continues to be (for me) Snape. I always believed he was loyal to Dumbledore. What’s problematic is how easily he is forgiven—he’s been much more cruel than necessary to keep up his cover. But, he’s also the one who is most heroic with the least reason to be. More things I loved: the Nazi Germany allusions; how Neville steps up to the plate; Harry’s recognition that power corrupts. Now I just need some time to read the series again in its entirety. Next year maybe.

Did y'all love it?

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

Glad you guys had such a great weekend! I fell asleep through 2 of the 3 movies you saw, but that's normal for me. I have high hopes for knocked up.

I'll be giving harry a pass; never made it past the first half of the first MOVIE!

10:17 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I loved how Neville finally had his moment to be a hero, too. He always had it in him, always had the good heart, and it finally clicks. I was so pleased with that - and also McGonagall's leading the charge, I loved. I hope Maggie Smith makes it to play that in the last film. Which they'd better hurry up on.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Harry was amazing. I can't say that enough. And the only movie out of the three I've seen was Knocked Up. And we LOVED it.

Glad you had a wonderful time!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Yes, I think I will start at the very beginning of the series and read the tantalizing tale of Harry Potter. Thanks for the spoiler.

Glad you had a great weekend. Found your blog via Blogging Chicks.

10:35 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Oh yes, fine cheese and a bottle of wine on the dock is the best way to end the day!

7:18 AM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

What a great photo! And your weekend sounds DIVINE!

I've only just finished the first book of Harry Potter, but I really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to doing the whole series.

T&T sounds cool... I think I saw you post a while ago that you didn't want to move to TO but now you love it. Would you mind sharing more about that (either in an email or a blog post)? What your expectations were and what the reality of big city living is? Pros and cons? I'd love your perspective. Your hood sounds really cool...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

I'm doing my series re-read now, and it's well worth it: lots of little goodies that make sense in retrospect, now that we've got all the information.

8:54 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Ah, the great escape - you're weekend sounds fabulous! Feel all refreshed and ready to start the school year?

I loved Harry Potter. I was worried that the final book would be a let down, or that she'd take the easy route out so I was quite pleased with how well she wrapped it up. I think the best part was how she didn't take the simplistic route of black and white, but how she played with shades of grey.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Tania said...

I'm drooling over your sleep-ins, beer, reading, and movies. I was thinking all week-end about how we used to do that.

4:03 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Three times to the T&T? I am so jealous. My in-laws stop at the Missisauga one on the way here. When they realised the new one was open the offered to babysit so we could go. Sadly we took a nap instead.
I was going to make a trip this week.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Karla Zamora, Digital Analyst said...

Your weekend getaway sounds like it was divine. Sitting on a deck watching the sun set with a glass of wine is my idea of relaxation.

As for Harry, I loved the book. Could not put it down for the two days that it took me to read it. In that time I did absolutely nothing except read and kiss my daughter goodnight. That is how addicted I was:)

Looking forward to re-reading all books again.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I really liked it up until the end. I thought it ended rather abruptly - like she just wanted to stop writing already. I could have used more denouement.

Neville I loved so much that I was actually considering the name for #2. Snape has always been a favourite, but that could have something to do with Alan Rickman.

Marky Mark is so hot, I feel obliged to swear whenever the subject comes up. I'll give you the PG version - holy crap he's hot! Damn.

11:31 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I wish i had been there....

10:35 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

I LOVED this Harry Potter. I totally agree on the things you loved in this book. I am sad there won't be another HP book!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Sounds like a fab weekend! Gord watched "The Shooter" over the weekend. I was busy doing something else. Perhaps I should have tuned in!

I still wanna see "Knocked Up". Just gotta find the time!

4:19 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I haven't seen any of those movies...I haven't even heard of the last one!

Glad you had such a good time...that photo is beautiful.

4:27 PM  
Blogger theflyingmum said...

My take on the 'Hallows was very similar to yours, esp. the allusions to Hitler, racial supremacy etc.
Enjoyed your post.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I read the entire works of Harry Potter - for the very first time - on our RV holiday. And got totally sucked in.

For me, the most rewarding thing at the end was that Dumbledore's trust in Snape (in the power of love) was vindicated. I would have ripped the book to shreds had it not been, but I'll admit to being worried after Half-Blood Prince.

Listen to me. Total convert after a decade of sneering at it.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mad said...

I agree with you that the Snape resolution was just a little to easy in the end. If you want to get a good HP post-mortem fix, go back to Bub and Pie's July archive and read her take on the book and then all 70 or so of her comments. The experience was almost as fun as one of the books themselves.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.