metro mama

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Moving On

Day 2 Update: Cakes was excited to go back to school today, but she cried when I went to leave this morning. I called an hour later and they said she was laughing and having fun. Fingers crossed!

Today was Cakes’ first day of preschool: the first time she’s been in anyone’s care other than family. As recently as yesterday I was telling people I wasn’t worried at all—Cakes does well with transitions; she’s social, adaptable, etc. and I was sure all would go well.

And then I barely slept a wink last night.

I won’t go on and on about all the things I worried about last night, because it’s all moot.

The day went better than I could have expected. I’m so thankful and proud of her.

It went unbelievably well actually (with the exception of skipping nap). I’m really curious to see how tomorrow goes.

She woke up five minutes after my alarm went off (the first time I’ve set an alarm in two years!) Over breakfast I explained to her she was going to school.

“I go to school?”

“Yes, darlin’.”

“Buddy go school too?”

“You bet babe.”

McHotty and I both took her. We met her teacher, chatted for a while, played with Cakes for about ten minutes, then said goodbye and told her we’d be back later. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously, then went back to her blocks. We went home to our oddly quiet house. I worked for about an hour, then called the school to learn she didn’t shed a tear, she was laughing, and having a grand time.

I’m so fucking relieved.

We went back at the end of the day to pick her up. She was playing outside and I watched her unobserved for a little while. She was beaming, laughing, and chasing her exuberant teacher and her new friends around the yard.

And you know what? Her willingness to move on didn’t make me sad today. I’m so happy for her. And happy for me. We’re both moving on to the next thing.

But she’s still my babe. As happy as she was this afternoon, she lit up even more when she caught me spying. My hours with her today were much more precious than any others have been lately.

This is a good thing.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Hurrah. And it's so true that when you get less time, it becomes more intense, more noticed. Way to go, Cakes!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Oh that's wonderful!!! I hope I have this experience on Monday.

10:13 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Oh, that's so great! Yay Cakes!

6:52 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

What a relief, but I'm not surprised at all. You have a strong little girl there, and it will serve you both well. (until she's a teenager ;)

8:31 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

she's so sure of herself...well done, mama. well done.

glad it all went smoothly.

9:04 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Congratulations on managing such a major transition with such grace! Way to go Cakes (and mom and dad too)!

Definitely yes to the playdate very soon!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

So wonderful. I'm loving reading about all these individual experiences with the same situations. It is eye opening and wonderful.

Way to go Cakes! Way to go Mama!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

It's an amazing feeling isn't it, the relief. Bub had his first full morning of nursery school today and it was an unqualified success: he sat down for snack with the other kids (and ate it!), participated in circle time ... and when I picked him up he announced, "It was fun! I ate crackers!" Huge, huge sigh of relief.

1:01 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Swee'pea cried when I dropped him off this morning too. So did I, all the way to work. Apparently, he's been crying off and on all morning, though mostly at transition times (I guess he doesn't want to stop doing what he's doing?)

1:19 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I know.

It is wonderful to watch them grow and take flight.

I was wondering how she would take to it given her...um...outgoing personality.

I love her, you know that. I'm proud of her too.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

I'm happy for you - it's so heart-rending when that transistion ISN'T easy for them!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Super B's Mom said...

WTG Cakes! That's wonderful.

I got a bit teary-eyed reading your post.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Cakes is such a wonderfully social little girl, I'm not surprised that she had a great time. I'm so glad that it's going well. It's hard not to be worried even when you're happy and excited for the next step.

4:39 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

It's nice to know that they can enjoy themselves without us being around. It must mean we are doing a fine job.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is exactly how i felt before Emily started school! yay for Cakes! i'm so glad she did great!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Highwaisted said...

totally addicted. loooooving it. thats so rad about cakes. what are you going to do with all of your new time?!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mad said...

yay for cakes. yay for you.

10:15 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I felt exactly the same - so glad she was having a good time and secure enough not to worry about me. And it left me free from worry and guilt to go do what I needed to do. Good for you, Cakes!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Highwaisted said...

oh and i might need to hire you to clean up the grammer/spelling in my bloggy blog. i get ashamed knowing you are reading and it is such a mess. :)

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad she had such a great day. Now maybe Mama can sleep. :-)

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.