metro mama

Friday, September 14, 2007

Buried in Books

I started the MA full-time last week, and I’m already a little overwhelmed. I’m in three classes this term: 19th Century Canadian Lit, The Canadian and American Novel Since 1980, and Victorian Sexuality. I think I’m going to love the classes: the reading list for the novel course is fantastic; the Victorian Sex will be super interesting (I think I have a paper about lesbian vampires in me begging to be written). The 19th Century CanLit might be a little tough going: it’s at 8:30 am on Mondays, and there’s only 9 of us in the class. No flying under the radar. Some of the reading is a little, um, let’s call it dry. But the profs seem great so far, as do my classmates (the classes are a nice mix of people—my worries about being the oldest were unfounded).

But it’s so busy already. Cakes is in school three days a week now, but I’m reading three novels per week, plus presentations, papers, and research work. I already have a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach. On the other hand, I think I’m pretty fucking lucky to be getting paid to read books.

On the positive side, I received my first masters level grade, for the summer course I took: an A! That gives me a little more confidence. Plus, I’m 90% sure I won’t go for the doctorate, so the pressure for grades is a little lightened (it’s more a matter of pride).

Oh, and if you’re interested, I’ve posted the Alice Munro paper here (I’ll warn you, it’s long!)

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Congrats on that A!! I'm sure you'll do fine this semester, but I can see how it would look pretty overwhelming initially.

5:03 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

oooh. Vampires and repressed Victorian sexuality. What more could a girl ask for.

Anne Rice watch out!

5:11 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

You'll do great.
8:30 monday morning is going to be hard.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Congratulations on the A! And I know you'll do FANTASTIC.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oooh, Victorian Sexuality sounds like fun!

I start nursing school this next week, and I hope I can keep up with everything.

9:39 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I can direct you to some Valerie Steele commentary on corsets if you like... which I believe I used for an undergrad english essay. There you go.

12:23 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I knew you'd bring your A-game. Congrats! ;)

8:43 AM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Such a smarty pants! Good for you.
Check your hotmail account, I emailed you.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Congratulations! I'm very impressed. I'm even more impressed at 3 novels a week! I don't know how you do it.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Congrats on the A! Sounds like you'll be very very busy!

10:16 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

I'm thinking of you right now (8mins before class starts). Dry sucks but an A rocks - can we raise a glass to celebrate?

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are way too smart for me.

I can't even figure out how to comment.

Apparently.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Mad said...

I remember those heady days of being overwhelmed by reading but so excited by learning. Enjoy!

But then,I didn't have a toddler when I did my MA. Hmmm.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Highwaisted said...

can i plug myself into you and drain some of the knowledge out into my little head?

4:51 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Just checking in to say hi.

Missing you and your posts....
(I know you are swamped)

9:48 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Wow, that's a big classload. I want to read those books! I used to wander the university bookstore, looking for piles of books in the course section that looked interesting. Then I'd pick my elective class from the reading.

Congrats on the A!

5:46 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Bossy needs to sleep an extra hour each day just to read about all the things you're doing.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.