metro mama

Saturday, September 08, 2007

BlogHer's Act: September Challenge

Over at BlogHer’s Act Canada, the challenge for September is to go back to school/work/daycare with less packaging.

This is how I plan to make a difference:




I will bring my own water, saving about 25 plastic water bottles per month.

I will use my own coffee mug, saving 20 paper coffee cups per month.

I will pack a lunch, eliminating my use of styrofoam, plastic cutlery, and all the other over-packaging of fast food, not to mention saving countless calories.

In addition to reducing packaging, here are a few more environmentally friendly things I plan to do this fall:

I will exclusively use the TTC to travel to school. It takes an hour and fifteen minutes each way, but think of all the reading I will get done. And I will save a fortune on parking.

I will try to cut down on the paper I consume. Whenever I can, I’ll refrain from using photocopied handouts and check the book out of the library instead. I will continue to get most of my texts from the Toronto library system (where you can keep them for three weeks and renew three times). Because I’m cheap, I’m used to never having the same edition as anyone else (not easy when looking for a passage in a nine-hundred page book). I will use electronic sources for research whenever I can.

Cakes’ school is a twenty-five minute walk. Weather permitting, we will walk at least one way each trip.

How do you plan to reduce packaging? Write your post by September 12, and leave a link over at BlogHer’s Act Canada. Get busy--there are prizes!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Great ideas!! I don't work, and BubTar only school's half day, so there isn't too much to be done for this challenge. He eats/drinks at home and all papers are distributed by the school.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

We're trying to switch to completely garbage-free lunches - and to also cut down utterly on the amount of pre-packaged lunchbox things that we buy for them, too.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Every time I get a good solid bag or box with my purchase, I'm trying to re-purpose it.

10:40 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

These are all fantastic ideas. Now to go and get busy on my own post...

10:38 AM  
Blogger SuperP. said...

I don't use plastic bags for my vegetables at the supermarket. I don't use paper ones either. The people behind me, I'm sure, get annoyed with my stacking of the carrots on the counter.. :)

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.