metro mama

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Street Party

As you all know, I have fabulous neighbours, and we often enjoy a few cocktails with the guys next door. We can see Cakes’ bedroom from their patio and plug in her monitor outside, so we can happily have a babysitter-free adult evening.

We also have neighbours across the street we love, a cool couple with a daughter Cakes’ age. We do lots of play dates during the day, but both our kids go to bed early, we don’t have childcare, and we can rarely get together in the evening. Well, my smart friends have solved the problem. Last night McHotty was working and I was on my own. I had just finished my dinner of PC Indian and Dave’s Honey Brown (Loblaws should be paying me for this) and I was planning to work on my blog all evening (yes, I’m that much of a loser), but they gave me a call and suggested we drink beer on the front porch. They have a high-powered baby monitor, and their daughter’s bedroom faces my porch. We pulled a couple of chairs outside, along with a bucket of cold beer and a bowl of chips (in my ‘hood we fit right in). We were soon joined by a couple more neighbours, some tunes, and a bottle of rum. Good times. Why didn’t we think of this sooner? And the summer’s almost over!

In MBT news, we are very happy to welcome Mama Tulip. She’s writing a new feature, an advice column called Ask Mama T. Mama T has answers for your most pressing problems. Go on over and give her a warm welcome.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good neighbors is a must!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

those are the best sort of nights ever. if only we were neighbors too.

12:09 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I wanna be your neighbour too!
Can't wait to see what Mama T has to say.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

You could always get one of those heater-thingies and extend the happy hour into October.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

that sounds like fun. lucky you.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh, you're so lucky to have neighbors like that! What fun!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

We have NO neighbors. Well, we have neighbors...but none that are social. Sounds lovely!

8:16 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

I wish I had that kind of neighbourhood (minus the axe wielding members).

8:37 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

That's too awesome. We manage to sit out on the porch some nights, but it's mostly in the afternoons, when we let the kids run in a pack.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff. So jealous. Hate my neighbours.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

That sounds like a lot of fun - and what a creative solution to the no-babysitter problem.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

I had a fun boozy weekend, too - but it RAINED too much to drink on the porch! The only time we went running outside was when suddenly we heard surprise fireworks crackling in the sky.

10:39 AM  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I love this city for reasons just like this.

9:43 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I'll bring the dip next time....

10:01 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

that sounds so fun- lucky you.

I think our new neighbours will be like that-I love sitting on the front porch, especially in the summer when the sun is setting.
bonus when there are cocktails involved.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Aren't fun neighbors the best?!

After a friend/neighbor died recently, we were at the wake and decided to have an impromtu party in her honor. It was just a bunch of us sitting around in lawn chairs, talking about our friend and making toasts to her. I think it helped everyone's heart.

9:56 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Bossy has lived that Baby Monitor ritual. She's not sure if it will stand up in a Court Of Law, but my the licquor tastes fine.

2:34 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Thanks for the shout-out and welcome, Julie. :)

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.