metro mama

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Metro Reco: Life on the Refrigerator Door


As you know, I’m a big fan of concise writing, so when I heard about a book comprised entirely of post-it notes, you’d think I’d have been excited. Well, not so much. The literary snob in me was very sceptical about the whole concept.

I was wrong. Again. (I should be used to it by now).

I read life on the refrigerator door in one sitting, in about half an hour. Consisting of a series of notes between a single mother and her teenaged daughter, the entire story takes place in less than a year. Telling so much with very few words (and telling as much by what it omits) the story is gripping, the characters real.

It’s a bittersweet and stirring little book. I’m glad I gave it a chance.

I’d like you to give it a chance too--I have five copies for the first folks to email me at metro[underscore]mama[at]hotmail[dot]com. (Sorry, just Canada!)

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger motherbumper said...

Sounds like an interesting concept, I'd like to give it a read.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

What about wannabe Canadians? :(

*lol* Sounds like an interesting read!

10:42 PM  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I can imagine that working so well, indeed.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Sounds spiffy. I'm off to email you RIGHT NOW!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could say my life is on my fridge. I have more post it notes, pictures of my kids, drawing of my kids... than anywhere else:)

10:06 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

sounds cool, but I can't imagine people would actually pay $$ it. (kind of like postsecret books.)

11:23 AM  
Blogger BOSSY said...

Crap! Yet another gimmick Bossy didn't think of. Sigh. (thanks for the recommendation)

2:53 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

sounds really good!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

What an interesting concept. I'll keep an eye out for it.

10:49 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I love quick reads and this sound like something that I would really enjoy.

I like to think that notes and emails are the little pieces of puzzles to our lives. That's why it's so hard for me to throw any of them out.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

The genre intrigues me, or, that is, the formal constraint of the post-it note format. Interesting. I think I'll pick it up ...

1:47 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Really?
Its a neat idea, I'm surprised it worked.
I still need to finish off the last book you gave me so long ago...I got interupted and since then keep meaning to pick it up again...maybe this weekend. I want to get it off to another lucky person.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Just Canada!?

Ahhh man.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's also a just-launched website that carries the concept online. :-)
www.refrigeratordoor.ca

3:31 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Thanks!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this yesterday.

Thanks for recommending it!

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.