metro mama

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Schoolgurl

I’ve been having a good week. I picked up my diploma and we celebrated last night with dinner at Terroni (great recommendation restauranter--you’re right, the funghi assoluti is fucking awesome) followed by drinks on the patio at Joy. My mom’s in town for a few days and we’re taking advantage.

I had my first graduate class today. I must say, for the first time in a long time I was quite nervous about something. I wasn’t sure what to expect and I knew I was the only one in the class new to the program (the rest of them are finishing up and they all know each other). It went well though. I spoke up more than my share. What I lack in experience I make up for in age (I was going to say maturity but that’s not necessarily the right word) and balls. Plus an acute awareness of the huge portion of the grade for participation. Anyway, I think I managed not to say anything stupid and I’m going to like the class.

I did get a big boost at school today. I picked up my final undergrad term paper. When I handed it in I was a little concerned. The paper was for my Romantics class and the prof I loved. He told us quite emphatically not to write any boring papers. So I decided to write a paper about why I found Byron funny, in the spirit of Byron: rebellious and unconventional. I dropped the f-bomb and quoted such sources as MetroDad and Monty Python. Needless to say, I was anxious to see what he thought of it, and guess what! A+. Damn that feels good. (If anyone’s interested, I’ve posted it here. Please forgive the look of the site, it's my test site.)

I made it home in time for SYTYCD. I’m finally caught up on all the episodes. I’m having a hard time choosing favourites this season, there are several I like: Hok, Sara, Dominic, Shauna, Kameron. I also like Jesse and Pasha a lot and I felt terrible for them tonight. I’m loving Wade Robson. His routine was the best tonight, and the vagabond number two weeks ago was a showstopper. What a great show. Who are your faves?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

Congrats on the essay that is fantastic.
With all you are giving up to go to summer school I am glad to hear the class looks promising.
I think Grad school will make great blog fodder.

11:50 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Hey, congrats on your essay! When I have a bit of quiet time I'll head over and take a peek.

8:39 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Hooray for you! I can't wait to go read your paper - good thing I'm at work, so I'll have lots of time.

And never underestimate how far (ahem) maturity and balls can get you.

We need a celebratory drink! (ok, you drink. I'll sip cranberry juice)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That's great news about your paper! Congrats.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

COngratulaations on the great paper!
I was so shocked last night about Pasha and Jessi - poor them.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An A+! Awesome. Great essay. I totally enjoyed it. I always did enjoy Byron. Meanwhile, I think it's hilarious that you wrote a post mentioning funghi assoluti, Byron, myself and SYTYCD all in one breath. You crack me up.

11:50 AM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Congrats!

SYTYCD: What about Lacey??? I like her much better than Kameron... Hok is my favourite even though I know he can't win. Oh - and I LOVE Sara and Jesus. I think they're my favourite couple... much harder than in past years, fer sher.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Congrats on the paper! And sounds like you are going to kick ass in grad school.

I am looking forward to hearing about grad school and any and all book recommendations that you have.

Cakes is lucky to have such a smartypants mommy.

1:23 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

A+ - super cool

I totally thought of you when I was flipping around and saw SYTYCD. Glad you made it home to watch.

8:54 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Congrats honey, we will lift many a glass to the humour of Byron at the lake in 2 weeks.

xo

1:56 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

A+ that's awesome. good for you.
glad to here you enjoyed terroni, and had a nice night out to celebrate.

Oh and I am having a hard time picking a fav on sytycd- but I am finding that Pasha pretty yummy.
love hok and Kameron too.
I'm not loving any of the girls- though I think Sabra is a cutie pie.
is it me or is that screaming judge mary murphy chick a bit over the top?
though she does call it like she sees it.

10:51 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

oops..hear. not here.
good thing I'm not getting graded here ;)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

A+ - wow!

Can you do my homework?

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.