metro mama

Monday, June 25, 2007

Metro Reco: The Gravedigger's Daughter

Before I get seriously into my 1001 Books challenge, I just had to allow myself couple more hot new reads, one being Joyce Carol Oates latest, The Gravedigger's Daughter.

The novel’s heroine, Rebecca, was born on the boat on the way to her America when her family fled Nazi Germany. Though a former schoolteacher, Rebecca’s father is forced to accept the only work he can get: the job of gravedigger and cemetery caretaker. Her family an object of scorn and ridicule in their small community, Rebecca suffers the consequences of her parents’ broken dreams.

Escaping her miserable childhood through marriage, Rebecca learns a new form of suffering at the hands of an abusive alcoholic husband. Determined to provide a better life for their son, the scrappy and resilient woman flees her husband and reinvents herself.

Though a little on the long side, with well fleshed-out characters, and a gripping plot, this is a perfect book to curl up with at the cottage this summer.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i just finished a book i am dying to recommend to you.

Without a Map by Meredith Hall. It's outstanding.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Joyce Carol Oates is just freakishly prolific - but I'll give that one a try on your say-so.

12:30 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

You know, I've never read any Oates. I'll put her on my list.

3:56 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

it is hard to keep up with j.c., but this will go on my list fo shizzle.
now all I need is that cottage...

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.