metro mama

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How to Buy a Little Blogging Time



Excuse me, I’m trying to work here!



I saw Away From Her last night and I must say I was a little disappointed. I was anxious to see it because it’s adapted from a short story ("The Bear Came Over the Mountain") by my favourite living writer, Alice Munro. Plus, I love Sarah Polley, who adapted it and directed.

I’m not sure exactly why I didn’t like it. For one, it was not subtle. The Canadiana was a little heavy handed (references to Ondaatje, Alistair Macleod, Neil Young, snark about American blockbusters—did I miss any?) Also, it was slightly saccharine (was it necessary to repeat the line, “you could have forsaken me”).

On the positive side, Gordon Pinsent and Julie Christie are incredible as Grant and Fiona. I did like the film’s attention to the sexuality of mature adults (something you don’t see often). It was a decent film, I think I just expected too much.

Munro hasn’t said much about it (as far as I’m aware). Did anyone hear anything about her reaction to the film?

We finally saw An Inconvenient Truth the other night. I was blown away. It is highly effective. If you haven’t seen it, I strongly recommend that you do.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

I'll probably wait to rent that one for when I'm in the mood to cry. Don't know what Munro's reaction has been. But did you hear what Rebecca Eckler's reaction has been to 'Knocked Up?' Har har.

Sorry, I digress. Love the pictures of Cakes at work.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Super B's Mom said...

Awesome picture. Gave me the laugh I needed today. Ah..the art of distraction...

12:18 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Could she come over and tweak my hard drive. Cause I know she can...

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love me some cakes. she's too cute.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if she'll turn out to be the writing wonder her momma is.

I saw that flick too. I agree with you. Too much Canadiana. I do wonder what Ms. Munro would have to say about it...

2:37 PM  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

The best review I've heard from someone I trust: 'It's definitely a first film.' I still want to see it, though.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

That photo of you and Cakes is a classic.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I read a review that said it was good, so I was looking forward to it. I think I'll wait now.

Love the pix. She can come over and work with the Boy on the "compooter" (as he calls it) anytime she wants.

4:07 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Is that a fake computer? With a mouse?
that look on hter face is priceless.

Not that I will have time to see the movie any time soon but that is disappointing. It just seemed to have such potential. Maybe I just need to see it with lower expectations? Lack of subtlty is annoying though. I'd rather miss some things in a movie than feel its dumbed down. Wonder what mamalooper the movie critic thinks.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

she is adorable. glad you wrote that about Away From Her. we were thinking of using precious babysitting to go, but now, i think we'll wait.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the pics and love Inconvenient Truth.

12:04 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Is that a real computer? (Cakes', I mean.) ;)

Honestly, I'm afraid to see An Inconvenient Truth. I know it will upset me.

1:32 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

It's a toy computer I found at Value Village (I get all Cakes obnoxious plastic toys at Value Village!) The pink guitar's from there too.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

I still have to see Inconvenient Truth.... I think it'll thoroughly depress me, though....

I LOVE the pic of Cakes and the laptop! Too. MUCH!!!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Did I hear Lisab say something? Oh yes, my review of Away from Her. Well, it'll have to wait. At Casa del Mamalooper, we don't have many nights out sans Monkeygirl and when we do, we go drink copious cocktails and munch on appies and talk instead of watching movies on the big screen.

Have seen An Inconvenient Truth, though. Excellent and one of the big motivators to take our "living" to the next level. You know, no paper towels, blah blah blah.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

How did I miss those pictures?? Cuute!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.