metro mama

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Coming Out of Hibernation

Life is so much better in the summer, isn’t it! We’ve been hanging at the park all day and I’ve been neglecting my housework to sit outside and read in the sun during Cakes’ naps. The park is a lot more fun this year now that Cakes is so much more mobile. She’s a little clingy since we came back from vacation though—she’s not letting me sit around the sandbox and chat much, she comes and takes my hand and drags me to whatever apparatus she’s ready to conquer next.

I also know it’s finally summer because I’m tired and hungover. Last night the next-door neighbours kicked off the season with the first backyard party of the year. We sat around the fire and sipped wine and gabbed and before I knew it, it was after midnight. I’m not used to that anymore after a winter of going to bed at nine.

Cakes was under the weather for a couple of days last week with a stomach bug. I felt terrible for her, but I must say, a sick Cakes is very lovely indeed. She didn’t want anyone but me, including her father (and you guys all know how cold she usually is). She clung to me and buried her face in her shoulder and we had a nap on the couch together for the first time since she was six months old. It almost made up for all the vomit I had to clean up. Almost.

This afternoon we’re off to my brother’s new house for a surprise birthday party for our mom. It’s funny, when I met McHotty seven years ago, my family did not know where my brother was for about six months. He never called anyone and didn’t even remember to send a mother’s day card. I was the one who called my mother every other day and visited my grandparents. Now, he’s recently become a father and he’s throwing surprise parties. When my dad had his heart attack he was over there cutting the grass. Now I’m the one who forgets birthdays (I missed almost every one last year, including my wonderful mother-in-law’s). Funny how parenthood changes us differently, isn’t it!

We have to be home by 8:00 for the Amazing Race finale tonight. Go, blondies! Who’s your money on?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

it's a sweet benefit of sickness, isn't it?

i, too, am loving the weather. we wandered over to a church carnival today in the neighborhood...you know, where you can throw a ping pong ball in a bowl and win a goldfish? i love that.

have fun at the shindig.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My son loves when his sister is sick. He thinks she is much more pleasant then.

4:32 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

I want to see the beauty queens win... I hate schmirna! And Eric and whatever her name is... I was VERY sad to see the cha cha chas go last week.

Swee'pea's been sick too but without the vomit. Also very clingy but he's such a cuddle monkey normally, it's not quite so enjoyable as in your case.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Hooray for coming out of hibernation! I spent the day at Ontario Place and am exhausted. With a capital E. Exhausted. But so great to be outdoors again :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:59 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

yay nice weather!!
yes yes- go blondies go!

8:06 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

we went to the park twice today - twice! I'm happy that Cakes is feeling better.

8:29 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

oh poor Cakes....give her sloppy kisses for me.

It is beautiful to hear how your family is getting together as a group after your brother sort of went underground....

soon honey!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

We're going to the park multiple times these days too. It's heaven.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's weird. May is always weird in Denver. It is rocky, up and down. This weekend was nearing nippy.

(BRING ON SUMMER!!)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Sorry to hear about the sickness, but a sick kid is a lovey kid. I think it's natures way of helping us through the puke.

11:06 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Ugh, we've got the sickies here, too. I feel for you!

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the outcome of Amazing Race last night...were you happy with who won?

1:21 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

yes, the asses won. but it was sunny out today. that makes everything better.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.