metro mama

Monday, April 09, 2007

Metro Reco: Grindhouse

Grindhouse is Robert Rodriguez (Sin City) and Quentin Tarantino’s double-header homage to the genre the film’s named after. It’s Mad Max meets Night of the Living Dead—and it’s a gruesome, gory good time (but not for the faint of heart!)

In Planet Terror, Rodriguez’ feature, a one-legged Go-Go dancer fights off bloodthirsty zombies. The raunchy rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack mixes nicely with the over-the-top blood, guts and pus (yes, pus!). In Tarantino’s flick, Death Proof, a sicko stuntman finally meets his match when he fucks with the wrong women. It’s what I expect from Tarantino: playful banter, sexy feet and tough hot chicks. The wicked CGI-free car chase had my heart thumping in delight.

The cast, including Freddy Rodriguez and Kurt Russell, is superb, but it’s the women who steal the show, especially Rose McGowan and Zoe Bell (Uma Thurman’s stunt double in Kill Bill).

If you’re looking for thrills and chills and aren’t the sensitive sort, this one’s for you. It’s a blast.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

oh you did go! sort of sounds like a russ meyers rip off....but that is TOTALLY ok by me.

give cakes a big kiss from her new favorite pretend mommy!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I love Tarantino, but I have to admit that this one freaks me out. Just a bit.

But you know I'll be checking it out once it hits video.

10:07 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Ohhh... That sounds fun! I heard that Planet Terror was fantastic. I love that this genre has so many kickass women.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

this is so our next pick.

hey, back to book club.

The White Masai. In or out? I ordered my copy tonight after a rec from Lucia. I'll read it regardless but it amuses me to bug you to do it too.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

one-legged Go-Go dancer?

Poor kid-

1:18 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

If I can get over my rose mcgowan aversion, I know I'll enjoy it.

8:10 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Hi Jen: I can't find your email, could you drop me a line?

I would be interested in Double Blind (because you like it).
As for book clubs, I tend to shy away because I like to choose what I read. Let me think about it though.

I REALLY loved Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (I'd send it but it's making the rounds with the neighbours now). I'll write about it after my vacation.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.