metro mama

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lovin' London

Hi friends! I'm dashing off a very quick post before McHotty catches me, so please excuse the typos.

London is wonderful so far. We arrived yesterday, very jetlagged, so we stayed moving and drinking to keep up the adrenaline. We walked miles and miles - from Green Park, past the Houses of Parl, Westminster, The South Bank, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, The Strand. Chris took us on a cool pub crawl. I can't remember the names of any of them but we went to a 400 year-pub where Yeats used to meet up with other writers as well as one that the owner is rumored to have killed people and sent their remains to a nearby bakery where they were baked into pies.






Today the weather is sunny and warm. We took a Thames cruise to Grenwich (McH is doing the military museum while I eat Ben & Jerry's and blog). Tonight we're doing a London Walks pub crawl in the City, followed by a late dinner. Tomorrow night, a comedy show on a boat on the Thames. I think we'll do the Tower of London tomorrow if the weather stays so nice. We're saving the museums for the rainy days (if we have any!)




Anywhoo, having a blast. Missing Cakes terribly, but I'm getting good reports on her well-being from my mother-in-law. It's hardest when I see little ones enjoying their travels. It's easiest when I see folks struggling with strollers on the Tube. The tube rocks, but it's not made for strollers.

I had a bit of a baby fix - there was a woman travelling alone with a 9-month at Gatwick. She was going out of her mind, so I held the babe while she found a porter.

All in all, we're having a blast! More reports to come, soonest.

Oh, and I'll start a pub tally.

Pub tally to date: 4

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying yourself.

But I'm kinda squeamed out by the thought of people bits baked into pies...

Are you gonna eat some kidney pie while you're there?

11:35 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

grrrrr. TOTALLY jealous!

12:40 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Keep sending the notes about pub owners that turn their patrons into pie! Love it!

Cheerio mate!

1:47 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Brilliant!

I love being surrounded by all that history. The shops are nice too. Beware of the cobblestone after the third pub of the night.

2:12 PM  
Blogger FENICLE said...

Sounds lovely! Extremely jealous of your adventures...but excited for you.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Oh so jealous as I sit here eating a bowl of Campbell's soup. But love hearing the stories, especially the one about the pub owner killing his patrons. Can't wait to hear about Paris :-)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That sounds like a bloody great time! Sorry, I don't know how to properly use British vernacular.

Anyway, are you going to have fish 'n chips?

Wish I could go pub crawling...

Keep us sad, boring people up to date!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Was that pub by any chance called Sweeney Todd's??

4:17 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Four pubs by ten am the second day?
Bravo!
keep us posted.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Sounds great!!! Enjoy yourselves!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Wow- how cool!

I really want to go now....

12:10 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

nomother: Yes, Sweeney Todd is the name that was escaping me yesterday (I need to write this stuff down)

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.