metro mama

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Feeling Like a Million Pounds

We have a little downtime before the show starts, so I'll give another quick update--this might be my last chance for a couple days, since we're off to the country.

We had another great day. We started out walking in The City. Then, we went back to the Operating Theatre (I'm fascinated with this place) and went inside this time. It was pretty freaky, especially the obstetrics exhibit. I took some pics of the scary tools, as well as a two-foot long tapeworm.





Next, we strolled along the Thames to the Tate Modern, stopping for a pint on the way. The Tate is a very cool building, and the Turbine Hall is something to see. Unfotunately they were dismantling the exhibit of giant slides (you used to be able to slide down them). We saw some more great art--I was really taken with the sculpture of Louise Bourgeois as well as a short film by Steve McQueen called Drumroll(1998). He attached three cameras to an oil drum and rolled it through the streets of Manhattan. Very cool.



Next, we walked to Trafalgar Square where we lounged and people-watched for a while. I love it there.

We're eating like kings. Last night we had an excellent meal at a gastro pub in Hamstead. Christine made us a huge bacon and eggs breakfast this morning, and tonight we had superb dim sum in Chinatown.



In about ten minutes, McH will be back and we have just enough time for a pre-show cocktail. It's great, we're walking so much I don't need to mind the calories. (I'm really picking up the language here. I no longer watch my weight, I mind it. I'm not wearing sneakers, but trainers. Fries are chips, and chips are crisps. I don't go for a beer, but rather a pint (the odd time just a half). Speaking of which...

Pub tally: 21

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

My favourite is "take-away" instead of "take-out".

2:30 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I love the lingo!

Sounds like fun...delicious fun...

3:44 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Glorious!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

fabulous. i always get confused on biscuits..

it's a one off.

10:09 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Louise Bourgeois is brilliant...I have always loved her work.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

How fun!

I remember seeing "To Let" everywhere and thinking they should say "Toilet"

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.