metro mama

Monday, February 26, 2007

Uma-Oprah

There are many theories about what makes us laugh. There’s the theory of incongruity; for example, when Olive breaks into a stripper routine during the beauty pageant. There's the position of safety theory: busting a gut while Johnny Knoxville writhes in pain. Then there is the theory of superiority: laughing at Elaine making an ass of herself dancing at the company Christmas party. There are many types of humour: satire, irony, exaggeration, direct insults, irreverence.

Humour is extremely subjective. I liked Letterman’s Oscar hosting. I also have a sick sense of humour and I love black humour—I thought Very Bad Things was hilarious. We have very different ideas of what is funny.

I love to laugh, and there are many of you out there who make me cackle. So, when Christina said she needed to find a new home for the ROFL awards, the wonderful Mrs. Chicky and I were happy to oblige. Starting next month, we will be co-hosting the awards and linking to your favourite funny posts.

So next time you read something that makes you titter, share it with us: send you nomination to metro_mama@hotmail.com. We need more funny in our lives.

***

Despite my best intentions, I broke down and watched the Oscars last night (tho' I simultaneously blogged, drank wine, ate cheese, alphabetized the CDs, painted my nails and read parenting books). Here’s my take:

The good: Ellen Degeneres, Mark Wahlberg, Penelope Cruz, Naomi Watts.

The bad: The opening montage; starting the night with two hours of boring awards, without even Supporting categories to break the monotony; Celine Dion.

The ugly: Jennifer Hudson’s jacket. She'll poke your eye out with that thing.

For best dressed I’d say Cate Blanchette. Who’s your choice?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think Kate Winslet for me.
maybe Reese Witherspoon? she looked great!

i also did a good, bad, and ugly oscar recap :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

For those who are not lucky enough to have experienced them, I will vouch for your fantastic skills as a hostess.

i liked reese, leo and ellen's jennifer hudson/al gore voting joke. hated whoever ryan seacrests cohosts were. overall, seriously boring show. literal snoozefest. i fell asleep.

11:12 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

I didn't watch but I saw some highlights this morning over coffee. I think Reese looked best (I'm a sucker for purple) and I think single looks great on her, n'est pas? (that will teach that cheating Ryan Phillipe).

Congrats on hosting the ROLFs, I will send nominations when I find some funny stuff.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I thought Gwyneth Paltrow looked great. Not a dress I'd like for myself, but it looked good on her. Same for Jodi Foster.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Reese Witherspoon to be the most simple, yet elegant looking.

The worst? Um...Kelly Preston looked pretty bad in her leopard print. But so did Cameron Diaz, Anne Hathaway, and several others.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yeay to you guys!!! Very cool.

And I have the same sense of humor... Or at least I appreciate that same kind of sense of humor you are talking about...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

oooh..didn't watch that stuff...but am thrilled you'll be hosting ROFL. and madame chick?

perfect.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Yay for hosting the ROFL awards ... perfect :)

7:49 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Yay! I'm so glad the ROFL awards found a home.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Good for you for giving ROFL a home!

And, best dressed? Ellen. OK, and maybe Reese, too.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Reese Witherspoon all the way! She looked hot! (And I mean that in a non-Ellen Degeneres kind of way..)

Ellen was HI-larious. She always cracks me up, though. That's my kind of funny.

Glad to hear the ROFL is alive and well.

4:08 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

At first I was worried you were going to tell me Ellen wasn't funny.
i was just waiting for her to break into a dance. That choir bit was just perfect for her.

yay for the ROFL. I'll be sending my norminations.

5:18 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

though I was flat on my back with a heating pad..I still managed to have a sip or two of bubbly, some chocolate covered strawberries (goes really well with pain medication) and watched the Oscars as well.
I thought Ellen was adorable
I thought Gweneth was the hottest stay-at-home-mom I've ever seen
Leonardo was looking mighty fine
and I kept wondering how Nicole & Tom felt when they saw each other, or Ben Affleck when he saw Gweneth and J.Lo.
that has to be awkward huh?

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.