metro mama

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Evil Dead Meets Deliverance Meets Carrie

I was glad when Mother Bumper recommended The Descent as we have similar (good) taste in horror films.

The film follows six adventure-seeking women, some old friends and some new acquaintances, on a spelunking expedition in the Appalachians. The group includes the fearless and headstrong Juno, as well Sarah (an excellent Shauna Macdonald), who suffered a horrific loss the year before. In the dark depths of the earth, grudges and revelations surface (along with some freaky creepy, slimy, flesh-eating dudes).

The film does a great job of evincing the women’s sense of claustrophobia and panic—it’s scary enough even before the fine slime cannibals make their presence known.

I agree with Mother Bumper, at times it is hard to tell who’s who, especially when they’re wearing gear. But I do like the fact these are no shrieking, weak, helpless women—these are some tough dames.

I do like the un-rated version ending. For those who’ve seen it, which ending did you see and did you like it? (If you’re worried about spoilers, please don’t read the comments).

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Those chicks were hot....I have a bit of a thing for strong chicks in 'gear'. I like this movie, it made me scream, it was twisted, and the creatures were gross.

1:48 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

if i can ever bear to watch a scary movie again, i'll go for this one.

2:28 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I was so freaked out watching this movie I made Dave hold my hand the whole time. And I LOVE horror movies.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I'm not to good with scary movies. I'm having enough trouble with my Gothic Horror course.

BTW, I tagged you for a meme.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love scary movies and i've never even heard of this!!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Karla Zamora, Digital Analyst said...

I am the worst person to watch scary movies with...mostly because I can't sit still. I jump around, bury my face in my hands, scream all the time, clutch your arm and so much more. I also have nightmares for weeks afterwards.

12:54 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

I'm not afraid of no scary movies. Nuh-uh.
But, during this one, I couldn't sit still. I watched the British release, so I don't know which ending that would be. I'm not claustrophobic, but I was after this movie.

I also had no idea that there were any creatures in the movie, so I thought Sarah was imagining it at first. Freaky. I like the pay-pack she gives Juno who cheated with her husband.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.