metro mama

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

One Year Later

A year ago this coming Saturday, after a very long wait, we moved into our new home. I am in a much better place now (literally and figuratively) than I was then. A year ago, still reeling from new parenthood, we were sitting in our tiny one-bedroom apartment, surrounded by boxes, filled with both excitement and angst. Excitement with the possibility we would move into our house in time for Cakes’ first Christmas. Angst, because of our daily visits to said house. It was a disaster: it was filthy; there was still no counter in the kitchen; the basement was completely unfinished. Everyone said this happened when you bought new but you don’t realize just how frustrating it is until you do it.

We bought the house in April 2003, before we were even married. At the time, we worried we were rushing things. We had a lot of reservations about the neighbourhood, and the house from an investment perspective (turned out to be a great investment). Because of some zoning issues, a municipal election, blah, blah, blah, our closing kept getting postponed. April 2004. September 2004. The next thing you know, I’m pregnant. Will the house be ready before I give birth? Nope. Cakes spent her first seven months sleeping in her pack-and-play in the dining area. We had to cook our dinner three feet from her head. The television was four feet from her toes. (This is why she can sleep through house parties today).

So, a year ago today, after another visit to our unfinished house, I was on the phone with our builder who was trying to postpone the closing yet again. He was met with this:

“You aren’t serious about moving the closing date.”

“Well, um…”

*sob*

“Sorry, but…”

“I want my baby to spend her first Christmas in her home.” *sniff* *gulp*

“The basement won’t be finished and we’re having trouble getting the guy doing the granite counter…”

“Put a fucking piece of plywood on the counter to carve the fucking turkey on. We don’t need the basement right away.”

“Um…”

“We’re moving on December 16. I refuse to move the date again. I don’t care what isn’t finished. I mean it!” *choked sob*

So, we did. They did get the counter installed and cleaned the place up. We spent the next couple of months living with trades working on the basement, but it was OK (we actually do have a great relationship with our builder. He did go above and beyond in a number of ways; a lot of the delays weren’t his fault).

While we were happy to be here in time for Christmas, it was not the most relaxing holiday. We were hosting, so BP was out on the 23rd hunting for trees and tree stands and everyone was sold out of all that stuff. We didn’t have much furniture, and nothing on the walls. But we had a good time. My parents came and we drank wine and listened to carols on Christmas Eve. The guys next door (the only other ones to browbeat a pre-Christmas closing) knocked on the door and invited us over for drinks (it turned out to be the first of many occasions). We were home.

But this year will be even better: as I sit here, on December 12, gazing at the tree, with shopping done and stockings hung, I’m in the mood for Christmas.

December 25, 2005

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

I love it! Sometimes you just have to cry to get what you want. Look at that great Cakes shot. So happy in her new home. It was clearly worth it.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great photo of Cakes, she looks so happy to be in her new home. I can't wait until we find ourselves a house (I'm sick of apt living) but we are being patient. I'm not looking forward to all the headaches that come with acquiring a new home but it's something I'm willing to go through.

So happy second Christmas in your home and spend the next couple of weeks cozy in your wonderfully decorated holiday happy place.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now your daughter has a wonderful place to always call home.

Kids Storybook Crazy

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy you can enjoy ~this~ holiday season. It makes all the difference!! (darling picture, by the way)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omigosh! the arms! i want to eat those arms!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh G*d, she's lovely! That smile! So happy!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The delays sound very stressful but you have such a stunning new home that I'm sure it was worth it! I wish some of that Christmas spirit would rub off. That sweet photo of Cakes sure helps.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Happy House-iversary!

Your story reminds me of when I bought our first place (a condo) right before my son was born. The construction kept getting delayed and I was only a few weeks away from giving birth and finally I just waddled down to the builders office and stood sobbing with my huge preggo belly begging them to let me move in. They mocved mountains to make it happen and then all the work crew and builder were so excited to come by and see the baby when he was born because they felt like they were part of making his homecoming happen ... actually giving him a *home* that is.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is, quite possibly, the best Christmas baby picture I have ever seen. (And I'm including the ones I have of my own son in that mix!) Wow. Merry, merry!

3:28 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Look at Cakes! Your own little butterball! It must have been so great to get christmas in your own first place. Good for you for pushing.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's definitely visions of sugarplums in my head. :-) Great picture, and here's to a relatively stress-free holiday.

10:07 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

And how beautiful your home and family are now....

11:36 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

What an adventure! Merry 2nd Christmas to Cakes.

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwww

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.