metro mama

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Diary of a 10-year-old Drama Queen

Bub and Pie’s recent post inspired me to dig out my old diary. I found this entry, written by a ten-year-old budding romance novelist. Here is an exact copy, including spelling and punctuation errors.

June 30, 1983

Today is the last day of school, I wrote. I will miss my friends but most of all I will miss David:

I said goodbye to all my girlfriends then I turned to David, “Bye” I said “I’ll see ya next year.” I knew I’d miss him but I had to hurry or I’d miss my bus. As I started to leave he said to me, “I’ll wave to you on the bus.” I said Okay and bye, Then he turned to me and said bye. I truged to the bus with my heavey bags and when I rounded the corner of the school who did I see? None other than David! I started towards the bus and David started walking toward me with a bag in his hand. He handed me the bag and said “don’t open it ‘till your on the bus”. “Okay” I said and we said goodbye once more. As I started up the bus he shouted “don’t forget to wave”. “I won’t” I yelled. I started down the aisle feeling lonely already and plopped down in the seat. Then, the bus started. I waved at David ‘till he was out of sight, and he waved back. As the bus rumbled homeward I sat stareing out the window deep in thought. Me and David had been sitting beside eachother almost the whole second half of the school year and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. I liked to be with David. At school we had to play baseball. I especially enjoyed this because me and David were both on the same team, and we wern’t the best players. So we always went outfield where the ball hardly ever came, and talked. It was fun! At recess we usaully hang around the tether ball and have a few games. I sometimes play my other friends like Connie, Leanna, Lillian and so on. But one day David came up to me and asked if I’d like to have him a game. “Sure” I said. It was so much fun hitting the ball around and knowing he liked me like I liked him. I remember wishing that, that moment would last forever.

“Are you all right”? Asked the girl beside me. I was brought down to earth with a thud. As I looked around I suddenly realized that I was on the bus riding home from school. “Yeah, I’m all right” I ansered. Then I remember the bag David had given me, and I quickly opened it and looked inside. They were flowers! David had given ME flowers! There were several real one and one paper one, but it was extra special because David had made it himself. They were all beautiful. “Where did you get those”? the girl beside me asked. “Oh, from a friend” I said with a smile. As we slowed down at my bus stop, I gathered up my things, I added “a good friend”. I started the long walk homeward, excited about the summer holidays but deep down I knew how much I was going to miss David.

“Done”. I shut down my diary, locked it and walked over to my calendar. I put a big X on one of the sqares. “Three more days until school” I said to myself. “It won’t be long now.”


Reading this, I’m impressed by two things: first, that at age 10 I was attempting a framed narrative; second, my handwriting was better then than it is now.

This post also reminded me that a boy hasn’t given me flowers in a while. BP? You reading?

***

Want to change the world? Check out Sunshine Scribe's new column over at Mommy Blogs Toronto.

***

Today's the last day of voting for round 1! Thanks for putting up with my nagging.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger petite gourmand said...

that is sooo sweet.
I don't think I remember any 10 year old boys that were so romantic...
Flowers! wow.
Impressive diary entry for a 10 year old girl as well.
though this doesn't surprise me coming from you MM. ;)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

First of all I cannot believe a 10 year old wrote that.

I have to admit I got most distracted trying to figure out if I KNEW David. 'Cause I know who Connie and Lilian are. But David ... hmmm ...

SO cute - thanks for sharing :)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me that David was a figment of your imagination. Because otherwise my ten-year-old self will be so jealous she might just come over and punch your ten-year-old self in the nose.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sent you home with flowers! Awww.
How sweet.

And very impressive diary entry for a 10 year old.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That will leave me smiling all day long! It seems you have always been a very talented writer. Not to mention a very mature ten year old!

3:22 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

B&P - he's real! nyah, nyah ;)

Sunshine - his last name starts with S...

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am floored by your 10 year old self. That is crazy!

I am also amazed by how many of you guys have your old diaries. Incredible.

P.S. Regarding Every Day Heroes. Nurses and paramedics are amazing.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get over the fact you wrote that at 10. Wow, I'm impressed!

Kind of reminds me of that TV show "The Wonder Years".

1:19 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Oh my god ... I LOVE it!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

That is very impressive for a 10 year old! I remember getting candy hearts in Grade 5 from a boy in my class. None since. Guess my looks peaked back then...how sad!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed too! That's good writin' for a ten year old. :)

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive for a ten year old. And God, where is David now? If he was giving girls flowers at ten, what do you think he is up to now? What a little smoothie.

One day my 'school boyfriend' (when I was ten or eleven) showed up on my doorstep in the middle of summer break and he looked so damn pleased with himself, like this was the most romantic, daring thing he'd ever done. The expression on his face cracked me up even then, and still makes me smile. Kids are so great.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive for a ten year old. And God, where is David now? If he was giving girls flowers at ten, what do you think he is up to now? What a little smoothie.

One day my 'school boyfriend' (when I was ten or eleven) showed up on my doorstep in the middle of summer break and he looked so damn pleased with himself, like this was the most romantic, daring thing he'd ever done. The expression on his face cracked me up even then, and still makes me smile. Kids are so great.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, if I ever figure out who this David character is I am going to lay a beating in to him he'll never forget.

Secondly, your not getting any flowers. That new Honda you drive while I ride my bike, in the freezing wet and cold, was not delivered by the "New Car Fairy", neither was the insurance, or the gas.

MM, if you want flowers you had better get this Blog generating some cash, or write that novel!

By the way, there is a Canadian Tire around the corner, I could use a wrench set!

Love
Big Papa

8:05 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

BP,

I'll buy you a tuque. I should earn enough blog revenue for that.

Love,

MM

10:50 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I got sort of choked up reading this. What a wordy lass, I cannot ev en imaging biggirl who is almost 10 writing anything like that. Very cute. Hope you got some fleurs....

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10. are you kidding me? shit. i should find my entry at 10. it would probably contain the word " like" about 70 times. can i have backstage passes to your book signing?

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.