metro mama

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Attention Alice Munro Fans

* Edited below!
**Links added!

There is an interview with Alice Munro in the Review section of today's Globe and Mail. Find it here. She chats about her latest collection of stories, the Scots, her mother, and writing as atonement; she says, "I am always writing to make up for things I've done". I hope she writes more.

***

I made it to the blogger panel at the Motherlode conference last night. I missed part of the discussion as Catherine's presentation was most inconveniently scheduled opposite this panel--hopefully someone will post a good recap. The women had some very interesting things to say about blogging, from various perspectives: art, community, political science, business. I'm glad I went.

I will link this post up later when I have a few moments. I am kinda frantically trying to figure out Cakes halloween costume for Penelope's party in two hours. I stopped at Old Navy on my way home last night, hoping to get a costume. When I asked where the kids' costumes were, they looked at me like I had two heads. "Oh, they're all sold out," they said, looking at me piteously. Shit.

***

I just found another Munro interview in today's Toronto Star. Read it here. There's also a quiz. Yes, I did get every question right.

While you're there, check out this story.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger crazymumma said...

Value Village has lots of costumes. What do you want her to be?...we have stuff.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made Miles' costume this year. it fits perfectly with his red puffy coat. An easy sew job. He's going to be a cherry tomato. It took 1 hour to sew. Perhaps you could incorporate a jacket into the costume too?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

VERY nicely done. I heart Alice.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As your baby gets older you will find that the tension between getting the costume you want and hoping to get that costume on sell is very real!

I'm not that familiar (read: not at all) with Alice Munro. If you had to pick two things for me to read, what would they be?

12:53 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Did you find a costume? I was at the mall today and saw that the fancy plush numbers at BabyStyle were already 50% off.

1:06 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Crazymumma: I did find a few things at Value Village, thanks! I'll post some pics later today.

Marly-lue: My very favourite collection is The Love of a Good Woman (and my favourite story is in this one, My Mother's Dream).

I would also say Runaway or Open Secrets.

Lives of Girls and Women is often recommended too, but personally, it's not my favourite.

7:30 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

blogger's being an ass. here's my comment from yesterday:

blah blah, alice, blah blah, university, blah blah, can't wait to read the short stories you passed on.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommends. I have cut and pasted them into my every growing list of books to read!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been at the Motherlode conference but I had too many deadlines at work.

Really do sales people need to act that way? Why can't they stock their stock their stores appropriately?

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.