metro mama

Thursday, October 05, 2006

13 Things I'm Glad I Did






Last Thursday I wrote about the things I regret. On a more positive note, here are the things I’m real glad I did:

1. Called off a wedding.
2. Sowed my wild oats (I did this rather thoroughly).
3. Quit smoking.
4. Went back to school.
5. Asked out Big Papa.
6. Moved to Toronto.
7. Convinced Big Papa to buy our house.
8. Married Big Papa.
9. Went to Mexico when we were 6 months pregnant to stock up on R&R.
10. Paid off all debt.
11. Became a mother.
12. Quit my job.
13. Started blogging.

What are you really glad you did?

***
My mom is in town this week. I’ve been a little down between my existential crisis and being sick for two weeks (I have a dr. appt tomorrow and I’m not leaving until he hooks me up with some antibiotics) so BP and I decided to go out for a nice dinner.

We went to a local favourite, Barrio, for tapas and wine. The food was amazing and it’s such a cozy, welcoming place. The only slight mar in the experience was the guy sitting at the bar who had THE LOUDEST VOICE EVER. You know the type—he’s fucking loud and he just won’t shut up. In my opinion, you can only be loud if you’re both smart and funny. We have a good friend like this—with each glass of wine, he gets louder and more funny. His speech gets impassioned (I goad him by bringing up political subjects) and he punctuates his statements with big booming words like FUNDAMENTALLY, punctuated by a slap on his knee. I love this kind of loud--the guy at the bar…not so much.

Anyway, the great food and wine was a great way to ease into our new hump day regimen . So far, it is a big success. Will keep you updated.

***


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels:

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. :) I'm very glad I met and married my hubby, and very glad I went to university and obtained an engineering degree. And I'm very glad I don't live in Toronto. ;) Too big of a city for me, but I know some people love it.

Thanks for stopping by and happy Thursday. :)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say having my kids has been a big positive. Somedays I have to repeat it.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

i need to go out and start sowing some oats - wild or not!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im really glad that i went to back to work. :)

i have a great job, and great kids and being a working mom - for me - makes me a better mother.

i debated for a long time, but it really was the right decision for me!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad I quit smoking too. That was around 4 years ago and the best thing I ever did. I smoked for 27 years!

Mandy :=)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Great list. I am glad for alot too ... but I do wish I'd sewn a few more wild oats!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I just took a bath. I'm a cat--I HAVE no regrets. You humans need to forget about that stuff more! however, I'm proud of you for calling off that wedding.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

See, I don't agree with Chey's opinion about cats having no regrets. As a cat, I can confidently say Cheysuli should have regrets! I've read her blog and, believe me, she's no angel!

::wink::

Nice TT! You've done some good things and should feel good (even though you don't, and need anti-biotics).

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kukka, why EVER should I regret NOT being an angel? I'm a cat.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Wonderful ist.

I'm glad I met my hubby and became a mom too.

Have a great Thursday!

1:20 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I'm glad you are my friend.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

A very good exercise for all of us to count the things we are happy for, but especially important when we feel life lacks meaning or we are exploring existential attitudes.

Just reember we all ask the same questions...people of faith don't have more answers than people who are unsure of faith or a particular belief system. Religious people do not own asking the important questions, we all ask them whether we are Jewish, Muslim,Atheist, Hindu or agnostic...why are we here? Why do children die? What is the meaning of life? Why do people suffer, why do people starve? Are we alone in the universe?

Thee are fundamental questions for all people. And part of being human is to add layers of meaning to our lives. It's what we do, we make our own value and meaning to all kinds of things, from family dinners, to storytelling to helping others to decorating our homes, to enjoying music.

Great list and here is mine...

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/10/13-things-about-being-goth.html

2:56 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

I love it! I wish I would have gone on a great vacation while I was pregnant! I'm glad I married my hubby too! I'm also glad I have 2 beautiful children (most of the time)! Happy TT!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

I am really glad I've travelled, given birth, and spent time sleeping in.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

10. Paid off all debt.

Oh, I cannot wait until I can put that on my list!

And I am glad I started blogging.

I lucked out in getting married to one of the most decent guys around.

Happy to be a mom but it does challenge me.

I'll have to think about the rest!

Thanks for sharing!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

P.S. Regarding your weekly regimen. Not too many details, right?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

Great list, MM! :) I'm really glad I became a mom, got Minden (my FOURTH cat), quit my PhD.... So glad your hump day regimen is going well...! Hope you're feeling better....

11:05 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

I love this theme! You've got some good ones on the list.

12:26 AM  
Blogger OSarah said...

I think I love the Thursday Thirteen.

Great theme!

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I quit smoking too. Though I am still nostalgic for hot days on patios with cold beers and a cigarette.

And I'm glad I got a pedicure, weekly hour-long massages and my hair done just before Swee'pea was born.

8:11 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I hope you feel a whole lot better soon...

Good list of things you are glad of. We need to remind ourselves sometimes.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Nice ones!

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.