metro mama

Monday, September 04, 2006

Untimely Proposal

It was fall of 2002 (two years after I met BP). The previous spring, he had landed his dream job—in Toronto. I had quit my job and left all my friends to move with him to a city I hated (at the time--I love Toronto now). We had lived together for about 6 months and things were going well; we’d discussed making it official. I was thirty and the clock was starting to tick; worse, I was feeling slightly insecure in the relationship.

Thanksgiving weekend, we went to Kingston to see his family. Thanksgiving is his favourite holiday and his parents’ spot is one of his favourite places. I was certain he would propose.

I was on tenterhooks all weekend, anxious for the big moment. I rehearsed my acceptance in my mind. It was a beautiful sunny day; finally, he asked me to go for a walk. Hooray!

Nothing happened.

The rest of the weekend was uneventful; we returned to Toronto; I was pissed.

I brooded for a month.

We returned to Kingston a month or so later, for American Thanksgiving (my sister-in-law lives in Boston so we celebrate both holidays). I was still bitter.

Saturday was a cold, rainy, rotten day. I was reading my book and Papa was pacing around.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” he asked.

“Look how shitty it is outside. I’m trying to read my book.” Leave me alone.
More pacing.

Ten minutes later…

“I’d really like to go for a walk. Sure you won’t come?”

Sigh. The sooner I go, the sooner I can return and read my book in peace.

We set off for our stroll. A few minutes later, my built-up frustration erupted. I asked him if was ever planning to propose; I told him he better not be planning to do it at Christmas-time (I hate Christmas and had never wanted a holiday proposal). He didn’t get many words in edgewise.

Finally we arrived at the scenic park we usually visit to sit and chat. By then the wind was really howling and the rain had picked up. We walked down to the magnificent large rocks that jut into Lake Ontario.

I still didn’t have a clue.

He pulled out a diamond ring and asked me to marry him.

My rehearsed speech flew out of my head and I just said, with delight and relief, “yes.”

We returned to the house and his mom just happened to have a chilled bottle of champagne. We celebrated, joyfully.

It turns out my instincts were correct—he’d planned to propose the first weekend but the ring wasn’t ready in time. I bet he had no idea it would cost him that much grief.

All’s well that ends well.

Coming next…the wedding!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! So much better than the "I expected him to propose and he did and it was perfect" sort of thing.

2:51 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Haha
I have a similar story. They really should not try to propose in inclement weather!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is so cute. And I can relate to the "All you going to do it already or what?!" Kind of feeling you had. I did too!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, this type of thing must be a trend -- just like Lisa B, I have a similar story too (except with me, it was snow instead of rain!)

7:22 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

was he testing your mettle to go out in the driving rain? Very romantic. He really loves you....

7:43 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

That sounded sarcastic and was not meant to be. Honestly, it does sound romantic....

7:44 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

The same thing happened to a friend of mine! Only her now-husband didn't handle it as well. She was yelling and carrying on so finally he just pulled the ring out of his pocket and said, "Fine. Here."

10:28 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

beautiful. Love these trips down memory lane....so cool that you were surprised!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Just read Bub and Pie's comment. ouch. Your husband handled it much better. And it's really great that you were surprised.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Baby in the City said...

Just catching up on your blog. I love the he said, she said posts, its like a movie. And I'm glad his proposal took you by surprise, more romantic that way. Can't wait for the wedding.

See you later at the park!

9:37 AM  
Blogger kirida said...

Awww, such a sweet post! What a great surprise. :)

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bet you couldn't sit still long enough to read your book after that! How exciting that it was a surprise.

10:57 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

great story. I also had a 'you mean this is not a proposal!?' freak out moment, but happily I had only to wait about 12 hours for the real thing. and if you ask chris, he'll tell you that it was under duress, and there were steak knives involved!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Shit. I thought I already commented on this. Damn bloglines.

I loved this story and the proposal. Funny and sweet :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.