metro mama

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Stealing My Kisses

I recently wrote about my physical love for my baby. Unfortunately, this love is getting less and less reciprocal.

Cakes does not like to be cuddled. The only time I get a cuddle is when she’s just woken up. In the short time it takes for her to clear out the cobwebs, I might get a little mellow time in my arms. Other than that, I get nothin’.

Oh, there’s one exception: she likes to give me a big hug when she’s soaking wet, getting out of her bath.

She doesn’t even like to cuddle at night, when she’s tired. She wants to be put in her crib to play with her favourite friends on her own. She’s a bit of a loner sometimes.

So, I steal my kisses. I steal them when she’s prone: on the change table, in her car seat, in her highchair; when she’s sleeping; as she’s running by to do something more interesting than hugging her mother.

I take what I can get.

Too cool for cuddling


****

I am lucky to have a husband who completely does his share around the house. I am usually most thankful. However, the other day BP cut the grass, after which he mentioned off-hand that he had pulled “some really huge weeds” from the front garden. I felt a twinge of nervousness, but quickly forgot about it. Today, as Cakes and I were heading out for a walk I thought the garden appeared a little emptier; the weeds were all gone—and so were my coralbells and lily of the valley.

Fuck.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

Yeah, I'm not getting so many kisses these days, and I have to pick my moments for hugs. I still lov them, though - they're worth the wait.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cakes is looking as sweet as ever in her cool T-shirt!

Buttercup has decided that cuddle time is from 2 AM to 5:30 AM and during this period I'm not allowed to sleep. I'm thinking I should rent her out for cuddles.

The poor coralbells and lily of the valley suffered from mistaken identity.

2:40 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I have a cuddler. you can borrow her.

sorry bout your plants, but a hubby that happily does housework is worth a few sacrificed 'weeds.'

3:25 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

My hubby did that once...took the weed wacker to my hosta cuz it had "those big things sticking out of the middle"...I like to call them flowers, but whatever!

3:46 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but Sean being helpful, in this case, is hilarious.

I love the Josephine books....I would love to change the name of my blog to Crazymumma - 'the many lives and secret sorrows of....' Hmmm, maybe I will....

7:44 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Its so hard to lose the cuddles. I'm fighting it all the way too. Sneak em in whenever you can.
too bad about the "weeds" though!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

My Gawd is she cuuuute.

I've got the same problem in my house. I only get cuddling if Chicky is sick or if I try to leave her with a sitter. It figures. ;)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Awwww. I hear girls stop the cuddling faster than boys... But I know what you mean. I really REALLY miss the cuddling.

And Gah! on the "weed" pulling stuff.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Like Lisa said I heard that can be a girl thing (though I hate even saying gender-stereotyped things like that). My guy still permits hugs and kisses - just not at soccer. "Mommy there is no kissing allowed at soccer". Ha

3:31 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

What a tease. So cute, but not a cuddler.

My girl (11 mos) is an OK cuddler, but she is also perfecting her shove. If she isn't interested in a snuggle she'll just shove you away with a big smack to the head. At least she knows her mind.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

My girl likes to snuggle but kisses are as rare as a four-leaf clover. We were recently apart for seven days, and the day she came home she gave me and her daddy about 100 unprompted, not-stolen kisses. That's how I knew she missed us.

10:18 PM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

LOL at the part about coralbells and lily of the valley. i'm sure he felt very proud of himself for tackling the 'weeds' *yikes* is right.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.