metro mama

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wee Garden Update

Sadly, the summer is drawing to a close. The first summer in our new home has been amazing and the wee garden deserves a lot of the credit. Big Papa has 'cued up some mighty fine meals for our friends and neighbours. Already, there has been many bottle of wine drunk by candlelight on the patio. I've revelled in getting my hands dirty, and our botanical friends have rewarded me--they've put down roots and are flourishing, just like we are.

The mini blue spruce that Big Papa purchased (recklessly ignoring my instructions to buy a juniper) loves its tiny new habitat...



The impatiens and coralbells are jostling for standing room...



Hibiscus gone wild! What are we going to do with this thing in the winter?



Papa has plenty of fresh herbs to choose from for his culinary delights...



This is the first time I've ever successfully grown a clematis...



This mandevilla (a house-warming gift) is getting rather chummy with the lilies...



We've come a long way from the waste-land, baby!

***

Papa returned to us tonight after a 5-day out-of-town training exercise; I thought Cakes would be ecstatic but she acknowledged his return with a nonchalant wave. Are babies like dogs, with no concept of time? I was so busy with blogging and partying with blogger chicks, I didn’t realize how much I missed him until he returned. I welcomed him home by cooking him dinner (a rare occasion); I grilled up some mahi-mahi. I must say, it was perfectly done, despite the fact that I, uncharacteristically, ignored the President’s instructions and followed my grilling instincts (such as they are). We uncorked a bottle of yellow tail, threw on the new Foos album I purchased when I was jeans shopping, and had ourselves a grand time.

Now, I’m not going to give you smut--let’s just say I will never look at my living-room furniture the same way again.

Absence makes more than the heart grow fonder.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

ah sweet romance in the living room

I love the clematis
you'll have to give me some gardening tips

11:18 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

If I ever come to your house (what? it could happen! i still get my hair done in the Big City, you know), I'm SO gonna' comment on the couch.

SO GONNA'

You've been warned.

12:16 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

so you gonna have us all over and sittin' on those smutty chairs and couches?

12:47 AM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

rrroowwr!

Love the garden pics. I often feel the same way about my flowers... so amazed that they are alive and growing, I should record them on film.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Please tell me those garden pics were photoshopped.

Because seriously, you need to come over and help me.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Your flowers look fantastic. Gardening does a soul wonders, eh?

3:25 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

niiiiiiice.
my garden is a graveyard. whatevs.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flowers are stunning! Mine are so neglected.

Mahi-mahi and the Foos. Mmmmmmmm... sounds like a great night!

1:23 AM  
Blogger fin said...

beautiful petals

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.