metro mama

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Like a Long-legged Fly

I have never felt so peaceful and free as I did when I was sailing.

Our first summer in Toronto, Papa and I joined a sailing club. He had sailed years ago; I was a novice, but thought it would be a fun skill to learn and a great way to meet people. I was right on both counts, but it was much more than that.

Now, we’re not talking about a fancy yacht club—our club was a co-op, called St. James Town. Everyone took turns doing the cooking, cleaning, and maintenance of the modest clubhouse. We learned to sail on small, 12-foot boats called albacores. These boats left little room for error—one wrong move and you would soon be in the drink.

The first time I went out, as the crew for an experienced sailor, it was windy (at least 20 knots) and the waves were high. He deftly guided us away from the dock and I followed his instructions. Soon we were sailing back and forth across the outer harbour on a beam reach, the boat heeling way up on its side, me leaning back as far as I could to counterbalance the weight of the wind, abdominal muscles aching. I was exhilarated. Exultant. Thrilled. I was hooked.

The first time I skipped was with great trepidation. It was, again, a very windy night. The butterflies beat their wings in my stomach and my pulse raced. I navigated from the dock to the open water without hitting anything. Success! Time for my first tack: “prepare to tack,” I ordered my frightened crew. “Tacking!” I proclaimed, with more confidence than I felt. The boat turned, I scooted to the other side, broke my arse on something hard, but recovered quickly, grabbing sheets and rudder in time to stay on course. Jubilation!

Learning to sail was one of the most challenging things I’ve done. I learned in June—and quickly discovered how cold Lake Ontario is in June. If you’ve dumped your boat (which I did often), it is no small feat to flip it over, get back inside and get back on course without dumping again. That summer, my body was black and blue with bruises. I slept like a baby at night after my exhausting efforts on the water.

I gradually became more skilled at sailing, eventually earning my White Sail III. While I never stopped getting butterflies on the dock, once I was out on the water, I felt blissfully free. That summer, Big Papa and I sailed often, getting to the club early in the afternoon when there was hardly anyone else around. We’d find our wind, cleat the sails and lean back, the boat silently skimming the water, the breeze caressing our bodies, the busy sight of the skyline a stark contrast against the sparkling green water. We drank in the sun and the solitude.

We don’t sail anymore—the kind of sailing we did is not exactly safe for a baby. And we don’t want to take turns because we like to sail together—if I’m crewing, I need a skip I trust. If I’m skipping, I need a forgiving crew (hey, I didn’t say I was a good sailor).

I miss it very much.

Now I cherish small windows of solitude when I find them. The other day, while Papa watched our babe, I waded into Lake Ontario and swam out far. I rolled onto my back and floated, the cool water lapping above my ears, drowning out the noise. I was weightless, tranquil, and, for a few moments, once more, truly free.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

This is a beautiful post! The last paragraph is just stunnning.

I haven't sailed in years but I think you just moved it way up to the top of the list.

10:25 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Freedom....a concept...at least to my mind.
But the picture you just painted...beautiful....sigh...Anne

10:59 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

What a gorgeous piece of writing. I loved the imagery you painted with this post. Makes me want to run to the lake right now...I should probably get dressed first. Oh and learn to sail.

Your blog just keeps getting better and better.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jargon went right over my head, but the beautiful description did not. I'm remembering the times I've sailed (obviously not as a skip) and that feeling of relaxation. I really miss being near the water.

And thanks for visiting me!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. We used to boat as well, but alas sold our vessel when the kids were little. There is nothing like the solitude of being out on the water. Thanks for walking me down memory lane!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Tillerman said...

Great writing. It's hard to capture the pleasures of sailing but you achieved it.

1:34 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

You caught that so nicely. I love evocative writing like that.

It was riding a bike for me, it felt like flying, and I haven't done it for years now.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jules,

My bro and I have a 24 foot sailboat, it's moored (sp?) in oakville and we sail 2-3 times a week. how did I not know this about you? I've never taken lessons or anything so im def. not the best pirate on the seas, but damn i love every second of it. unfortunately i dont see us getting together before we take it out of the water, but i will def. keep this passion of yours in mind for any opporunity that may arise.

:)

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.