metro mama

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's Time To Get The Cheque When Your Wife Starts Hiccouphing

Last night Big Papa and I had one of those rare, magical, date nights.

We're making up for lost time after our dating drought.


My MIL is in town for a few days to help with Cakes while I goof off on blogs study for my final exam and Big Papa completes all of the chores around the house resulting from the Home Depot run. It's been bloody hot in hogtown this past week, so we purchased this sweet ceiling fan, which awesome BP dutifully installed:





I don't know why we didn't buy this bad boy sooner. Our air-conditioner has trouble keeping the third-floor bedroom cool and this baby does the trick. Plus, it has a remote (how cool is that) and a dimmer on the light (mood lighting! the saggy boobies look better in the dim).

Yesterday afternoon, my fantastic MIL (I need to do a whole post about her) took Cakes to the park for a swim and told BP and I to take off for the evening.

Now, much as I love Cakes, I spend an awful lot of time with her. I almost feel guilty about how happy I am to have a few hours away from her.

I said almost.

We started the evening with a couple of pints at Joy. We lounged on the patio and watched a (rather unsuccessful) juggler in Jimmie Simpson park.

After the pints we made our way to Verveine, where I had, what I determined to be in my top five best meals ever.

We started with a chilled white. BP usually orders the wine, but suggested I do it this time as I'm the one to extol the virtues of a cool white on a hot summer day. I selected an Australian Riesling, and when the waiter poured me a sip, I affixed the appropriate serious expression, and did the sniff, swirl and sip. I nodded my approval and our cute waiter poured us a tumbler.

We both started with a cool potato and leek soup. BP had halibut and I had duck breast with warm salad, pear and a sauce to die for. It was fucking heavenly.

For dessert, we shared a ridiculous chocolate concoction.

If you're looking for nice place for a special occasion, this place's for you.

After dinner, we stumbled ambled back to Barrio for a nightcap. I had a delicious Espresso martini. We sat at the bar and as we questioned the interesting looking labels of open bottles of wine, the bartender poured us tastes.

There was a band coming on at 10, and we would have loved to stay but I was already hiccoughing (that's what you get for going out at 4:30).

I wish I had some wink-wink-nudge-nudge, but by the time we made it to bed we were too tuckered (and I was too tipsy), mood lighting and all.

We'll just have to make up for it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

oh, that's so great! Hey, while it's always nice to followup a good night out with a, um, nightcap, I think the night out is a way bigger treat - if nothing else, because it puts you in a more relaxed mood that makes the concept of the afterparty even conceivable. (oh, will I stop with the puns?!) So it might even carry over to the next night...

2:36 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

OMG, are we blog psychic or what?! Too funny that we BOTH posted our weather thermometers!

11:08 PM  
Blogger ninepounddictator said...

aw, sounds so nice!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

That sounds so great. I am going to check out those places with my man soon. And I am coveting your fan ... our third floor is a SAUNA!!

7:05 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

You two are going on lottsa dates. Sounds like a gas...
Thanks for the template tips...I will get it figured out someday (when hell freezes over?).
Did you get my email?
Anne

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah that was the cutest night ever. im still going out at 10:30pm , getting completely wasted. dancing at the cotopus lounge, eating pizza somewhere on college street and passing out in my boyfriends bed at 4am. to wake up the next morning ahem... afternoon for some sweet eggs and bacon around the corner. it will be nice to grow up and hit all those fancy restuarants/bars. :)

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.