metro mama

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Shopaholic Takes Toronto

Actually, I’m far from a shopaholic. I loathe shopping, especially when it involves me trying on clothing. But, today I was on a mission to buy presents for Big Papa for his birthday and Father’s Day, ‘cause he deserves them. And a bathing suit, as I literally have none that fit properly and we plan to loll on the beach this summer as much as possible.

S., reading the blog last night, expressed some discontent about being referred to as “S.” He says it’s too vague--it could stand for “shithead” or “shit-for-brains”. He would prefer the moniker, “Big Papa”. Henceforth, the husband formerly known as S. will be known as Big Papa, or BP for short.

I went to the Eaton Centre. I can’t stand the Eaton Centre, especially on a beautiful sunny day like today but it is where all the cheap bathing suits are. I wanted to go to H&M first (my strategy is to try my best bet first, and if I’m successful, leave the mall IMMEDIATELY). Heading to H&M involved first traversing the entire mall, passing Baby Gap, Gymboree, and Roots Kids. My god, the baby summer clothes are so cute; however, Cakes has a closet full of clothes and new ones are neither needed, nor in the budget (and Big Papa would be annoyed if I came home with any).

I successfully shunned the baby stores and made it to H&M when I was blindsided by an adorable baby suitcase on wheels I could not pass up. (Cakes will be walking soon. She can use this to tote her own gear and maybe I can use a handbag again for the first time in a year.)



I found some cool gifts for Big Papa (can’t say anymore in case he’s reading). I tried a couple of bathing suits at H&M. I thought I was ready for this. I was mentally prepared. But the reality is, it was still too soon. I think I may have suffered a self-esteem setback from rushing into bathing suit shopping to quickly after childbirth. Needless to say, cheap string bikinis are not a good look for me (actually, they never were).

TO Mama posted about the horror of post-pregnancy swimsuit shopping the other day and recommended a shop in Yorkville. I thought about going, but I’m too cheap and too lazy so I ducked into Old Navy and found a passable, two-piece boy leg for 30 bucks. Done.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger motherbumper said...

Yup, I hear you. I went into H&M at Fairview on Thursday and tried the brown string bikini with wavy lines... what was I thinking? But thanks for the heads-up on Old Navy. And I too shop more for B than myself...

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you probably saved yourself an arm and a leg. Good for you.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

maybe in another 2 years i'll try on a bathing suit!!!

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been saved from these horrors..this year...I'm pregnant, so I can wear my maternity bathing suit. Don't know if that's good or bad, though.

I did see the suits at Old Navy, and they are quite cute!! But I do hear you about the horrors...bathing suit shopping is something to definitely be avoided!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

What I need is a bathing costume, circa 1898 - you know, black flounces and leggings that go down to the knee. Maybe then I would consider taking a dip this summer (as opposed to hugging the shoreline as I supervise Bub running in and out of the water).

10:26 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

We are hardest on ourselves...You probably look great!!!!
My only piece of advice is get a bikini that is not easily unhinged by Cakes... as no matter how alone you feel on the beach the moment those wee hands undo the bikini by accident... the beach WILL be crowded!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

What Bubandpie said - one needs a bathing COSTUME. With skirt.

Was that baby suitcase on wheels AT H&M? Will need one...

10:03 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

mother bumper: I tried on the same one. Looked much better on the hanger.

HBM: yep, it has wheels. I posted a pic now that Blogger is finally letting me.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.