metro mama

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Monkey Business

Our next-door neighbour gave Cakes this adorable creature.

She’s a good companion for her--a monkey for a monkey.

My monkey absolutely refuses to wear her hat. Yesterday she pitched it in the middle of a busy intersection.

Today, Monkey Girl pushed an empty box up to her baby gate and tried to scale it.

The Monkey no longer pushes her food away when she’s full--she takes a mouthful, then she spits it out and smears it all over herself.

She is a very strong-willed baby. I don’t know what we’re in for. I see many battles of wills in our future. I’d rather have her this way though and know she won’t ever be pushed around.

***************************************************


We had a nice day today. Cakes and I went to the park early this morning so Big Papa could sleep in. We made a couple of new friends. We watched the Chinese ladies do tai chi then they played with Cakes hair (she’s getting these sweet little curls at the back that everyone is compelled to touch).

I lounged on the deck and studied for my mid-term during Cakes’ nap. It is much less painful having to hit the books when you can do it in the sunshine.

This afternoon I planted some shrubs in the back: mini blue spruce, tree peony, climbing hydrangea and weigela. S. got out the boxes of Ikea patio furniture that have been gathering dust in the garage and spent hours assembling (poor S. has spent many, many hours assembling Ikea products over the years). Cakes and I watched him work and she crawled in our new grass for the first time--she loved the feel of the grass on her bare feet.

By the time we were done all that, it was 7 pm and the only thing we had to eat in the house was PC Indian (which we had last night), so we treated ourselves to fish and chips (from our local shop, the Reliable--what a name). We went to sit on the porch after dinner and the neighbours invited us for a mango martini. It was lovely--so fruity and frosty. I think that was the first fruit I’ve had in about 3 days.

***************************************************

Thanks for all your comments. We bloggin' mamas like the comments.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

oooh. Mango Martini. That sounds yummy...

1:52 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

The Pie is getting those wee little curls too. I hope it's genetics (her dad has curly hair) and not just humidity. I would love for her to have a head full of tight little spirals (even though I know she would hate them, based on my observation that all women with curly hair hate their hair).

10:36 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Strong-willed, gah. Am living it RIGHT NOW. And am EXHAUSTED.

But that monkey? Too freakin' adorable. DO you know where your friend got it?

11:28 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

Hey. I just discovered your blog and this quote from your Perfect Mom post: "One year into motherhood, I haven’t killed anyone and I’m started to feel a little more confident in myself." has made me a definetely repeat reader. Love your blog!

11:29 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

2badladies: he got it at Pottery Barn Kids (a dangerous place. Too. Much. Temptation.)

mother bumper: thanks! I just commented on your blog and will be a regular visitor. I'll read some back-posts when I get a chance. I can relate to your post about the bumps and bruises!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

I like the mango martini!!!! I can relate to the strong willed baby!!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I fully understand the strong-willed baby. Mine is the definition of strong-willed.

It will get worse, and it will get better in some ways.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.